WERA NC Round #7 of 8 Nashville, TN(long)

owndjoo

Well, this week I traveled to Nashville, TN for round #8 of the WERA North Central roadracing series. This week was a combined North Central, Southeastern, and Mid-Atlantic venue. I was a little worried about how I would do going down South and taking on the southern fast guys on their own track. Turns out I am a lil farther ahead of the game than I initially thought. Saturday practice involved me learning the track which included a NASCAR tri-oval banked straightaway, a 3rd to 5th gear full lean sweeper, and a VERY tight infield section. The track was rather slick and my shagged tires made it a handful, but in just 8 or 9 laps I was already running in the 1:12's. For the 20 lap solo race I got a good start and pulled the holeshot. Once out front I put in some good laps, running in the 11's in the first 3 laps, before being overtaken by Kris Turner, a young 125gp rider who is representing out country in Europe next year. This kid is FAST, he pulled away and his buddy Miles Thornton came by as well. I held onto 3rd position until around lap 12 where I just couldn't handle the lack of traction and decided to back off the pace to keep from crashing, afterall, it's only a solo race. I ended up in 6th place at the end of the mini-endurance. I was mentally and physically exhausted from the extremely technical 1.6 mile circuit.

On Sunday we changed my gearing,slapped on some new Pirelli tires, and filled the tank with VP race fuel. Right off the bat I got into the 1:10's before pulling in. 2nd practice saw me nearly see the 1:09's before I cut practice short to save my tires. First race of the day was LWT Twins SS. I got a not-so-good start and went into turn 1 in 3rd. After turn 3 I was up into 2nd and hot on the heals of the leader, who I would soon pass. However, after making a few mistakes I was passed back. I was setting up to make my move and take the lead before a red flag ended the race. My opportunity was cut short and I took home second, as well as clicking off a 1:09.3 laptime. My next race was HWT Twins SS. This race i got a great start and held onto the lead. I was passed by Jose Rodriguez on the tri-oval but would retake the lead in the turn 3 hairpin. I held on and lengthened my lead when on the 9th of 10 laps a rider on an Aprilia Mille 1000 passed both of us on the tri-oval...gotta love the SV650's lack of power compared to a liter bike. I was much faster throught the infield section, but just couldn't quite make a pass. The Mille rider took the victory by .605 of a second. I once again got a 2nd place. This race saw me in the high 1:08's. Come my third and final race I was ready to go all out. Formula 2 saw a return of the GP riders. I got the holeshot and led for a couple laps before young Mr. Turner passed me on his 125. I tried to keep up with him, but his cornerspeed was insane on the little bike. Sadly, he highsided in turn 2 which gave me the lead once again. With lead in hand I put my head down and slid the rear of the bike through every corner and was backing it into turn 2 on the brakes. on the 2nd to last lap I caught a lapped rider and in an attempt to pass quickly, I nearly highsided in the second chicane saving it only to see the other gp rider go by on the outside. I recollected myself and wreeled Miles in, but with only 1 lap left just couldn't do it. I took my third 2nd place of the weekend and thus clinched all three North Central Regional championships in Formula 2 Novice,HWT Twins SS Novice, and LWT Twins SS Novice. Next week is the AMA Sports Road Race Grand Championships held at Mid-Ohio Roadcourse in Lexington, OH. This is the equivalent of the Loretta Lynn's championship races held for motocross. I am very confident in my ability to bring home a national title or maybe even more than one. For more information on the RRGC at Mid-ohio check out www.midohio.com