How to get into track days?

SuperHawk

I'm looking for some more info on track days, nothing competitive at least right now, just go out and have some fun and get some practice under my belt. Where do you guys usually go? What's the setup/schedule? What's it cost, etc etc?

Is a katana 750 a bad bike to track? lol

I'd have to say the primary one for us would be Mid Ohio. They offer riding courses for Novie/Experiance and advanced. They also offer Track days that follow the same skill levels. The biggest differance, is that you have to attendent 1 or novie before you can go into the experianced group ect so that your not behind the curve. Just check it out for yourself and do the research.

http://www.midohio.com/school.aspx

Go to www.sportbiketracktime.com and check it out. There are forums and all the staff are quite good about helping with questions.

Cost varies dependant on the event. LEDs are Limited Endurance Days and are the best bang for the buck. But, as stated earlier, you'll need at least a session in Novie. It'll do ya good anyways - there's a bit of classroom stuff - nothing heavy - that will help with basics that are sometimes overlooked when a track day org simply releases the riders...

As far as the Katana 750 - well, it isn't a bad choice as long as you are comfy with it. You will, however, experience issues since the bike is not as sport oriented as say, it's bigger brother the GSXR. With that said, I would try it out first, ride until it becomes an issue and decide then.

I wouldn't go selling the farm right away as you may be very fast on that bike.

Now, realize this - track days are ADDICTIVE!! You'll be hooked.

Try and get to one of the 6 remaining STT events at Mid-Ohio. We are blessed with one of teh best tracks in the country. However, another great track is Putnam Park. They run NESBA and local track day events along with STT. GREAT track and really a challenge. Looks boring, but if you want to learn corner speed, it is the track to do it at. Most get it wrong and either don't care for it or struggle, but if you try hard and focus correctly, it is better than most places you'll see...

Good luck!!

I bought an 01 katana 750 as a track only bike, basically because its rough around the edges and it was CHEAP. I dont want to go down anytime, but I wont feel at all bad if I drop this or whatever.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it, when is everyone planning on going next?

Well if you want to go that route, you can looking into www.superbikeschool.com/ or www.classrides.com

These are Schools that work on your riding technique on the track. They will be pricey and even more so when you rent their bikes. Both come to Mid OH I believe (I know Code's school does). But if you are looking at just seeing if you like the track Mid OH day (which Sportbike Track Time runs) is your best option. Their Beginner class does have some Class room with exercise to try on the track. Plus their Coaches control the session so no one can really do anything too stupid for first 4-5 sessions. Even their coaches in the other levels are good (except Lizard he just passes you and laughs. :D )

Well if you want to go that route, you can looking into www.superbikeschool.com/ or www.classrides.com

These are Schools that work on your riding technique on the track. They will be pricey and even more so when you rent their bikes. Both come to Mid OH I believe (I know Code's school does). But if you are looking at just seeing if you like the track Mid OH day (which Sportbike Track Time runs) is your best option. Their Beginner class does have some Class room with exercise to try on the track. Plus their Coaches control the session so no one can really do anything too stupid for first 4-5 sessions. Even their coaches in the other levels are good (except Lizard he just passes you and laughs. :D )

Chris,, Its bad enough I have to deal with you over on GDC and at Mid oh but not here as well..:cry:

Go to www.sportbiketracktime.com They have rentals at times through someone else. However, you really should just use your own. Why wouldn't you, anyways?

I wouldn't want to use mine at first as I do not want to crash it, as I said.

When I am more sure of my own ability riding faster & cornering etc then maybe but I dont think a Z1000 was design as a track bike.

I wouldn't want to use mine at first as I do not want to crash it, as I said.

When I am more sure of my own ability riding faster & cornering etc then maybe but I dont think a Z1000 was design as a track bike.

actually those bikes are quite nimble. they are basically toned down naked versions of the zx-10 iirc. the suspension on them is very good. believe me, the bike more often then not will be much more suited to the track than the rider. you'll be amazed at what people ride at trackdays, and a lot of 'em go pretty good on 'em.

actually those bikes are quite nimble. they are basically toned down naked versions of the zx-10 iirc. the suspension on them is very good. believe me, the bike more often then not will be much more suited to the track than the rider. you'll be amazed at what people ride at trackdays, and a lot of 'em go pretty good on 'em.

Right on, I have seen guys in the intermediate groups on FZ 6s and FZ 1s that just anhialate them. Plus I have seen some in the advance groups that are very fast.

So the Z1000 is very capable bike as owndjoo says.

Next year try the California Superbike school that is at Mid-Ohio around the time the 1st AMA race is there. A buddy of mine is the head of the cornerworkers there. I was due to cornerwork there in '06 a few days after I did the R.O.K (Riders of Kawasaki) trackday, but decided not to, because I couldn't make the 2 hour trip. I was pissed because I get FREE tracktime for cornerworking the school too! Anyways, look into that sometime.

I might be doing the corner school at VIR next year. That will be interesting for sure, can't wait.

Next year try the California Superbike school that is at Mid-Ohio around the time the 1st AMA race is there. A buddy of mine is the head of the cornerworkers there. I was due to cornerwork there in '06 a few days after I did the R.O.K (Riders of Kawasaki) trackday, but decided not to, because I couldn't make the 2 hour trip. I was pissed because I get FREE tracktime for cornerworking the school too! Anyways, look into that sometime.

I might be doing the corner school at VIR next year. That will be interesting for sure, can't wait.

Code's is a school and is very unique. We see his "students" a lot at teh track and let's just say they have some interesting line choices...

Code's isn't near the top of schools I'd suggest if you are looking for good skills. Look at Swantz, Spencer, or even Penguin's for that...

As far as the free track stuff, I actually got hooked up and almost became an instructor with Code. I interviewed and as soon as the Scientology stuff kicked in, I was out. It's cool you get to do free track time (I worked it in 2003), but it isn't anywhere near the track time we get with STT. It is also not close to the same pace, either...

Tony's your buddy, right? Why doesn't he come to any track day events?

Actually, Lizard I have done Levels 1&2 with code at VIR though, and never once did they specify a line, and neither was it in the cirriculum. Now I bet it is a different coach crew though, and that could be it. I would be interested what lines they are taking? I know code's style of riding is actually key on the wide in wide out that Mid OH is not really good for. I think there is only 4 corners that you enter from the outside curb.