College Student Survey, Former, Current, Prospective

Casper

If you are a college student (former, current, or prospective) please fill out this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=gjozQn_2fpHLq4dTovXGFNpA_3d_3d

Its for the Ohio Board of Regents. They're pushing a new program called Stackables. Essentially, Stackables are certificates which you can "stack" to add up to a degree. This is a great idea and an awesome opportunity for people who can't dedicate huge chunks of time to classes but still want a degree.

The survey takes 5 minutes max.

They want to know why going to college is so hard and why a lot of people stop going. This way they can push programs like this.

If Stackables is pushed through many people could earn college degree through on the job training. May take as long as a two year school but you wouldn't have to worry about cost or schedule. Thank you for your help with this.

They want to know why going to college is so hard and why a lot of people stop going. This way they can push programs like this.

If Stackables is pushed through many people could earn college degree through on the job training. May take as long as a two year school but you wouldn't have to worry about cost or schedule. Thank you for your help with this.

FALSE... Most careers that require college education are not going to hire you to get a college education just by working for them. Its a catch 22. you have to have the education and a degree to get the job,, not get the job to get the education.

If your talking about a vocational type degree then ok (ex. mechanic, mason, construction, etc). but this will not apply to most business situations or educations.

Going to college is hard for only 2 reasons. MONEY and laziness.. Those who want to go will find a way to make it work for them. (And those are the people that I want to work with, work for, and want to work for me because they are the motivated ones)

FALSE... Most careers that require college education are not going to hire you to get a college education just by working for them. Its a catch 22. you have to have the education and a degree to get the job,, not get the job to get the education.

If your talking about a vocational type degree then ok (ex. mechanic, mason, construction, etc). but this will not apply to most business situations or educations.

Going to college is hard for only 2 reasons. MONEY and laziness.. Those who want to go will find a way to make it work for them. (And those are the people that I want to work with, work for, and want to work for me because they are the motivated ones)

:confused:

I don't have a degree. My employer pays for me to do trainings. If the "stackables" idea passes through, then I'd get college credit for these trainings. For instance, last month I was in Oracle 10g Administration I. We teach that very class here, but over the course of a quarter. With the stackables program, I could have gotten college credit for that training. Make sense?

Money and laziness are not the only reasons. To say so only shows your ignorance. The world is perfect. For example: a single mom working to support her child(ren) doesn't exactly have the time in the evenings to be taking classes. Or how about a 45 yr old man who just spent the past 25 yrs supporting his family? Now they've grown and moved out, maybe put through college. He works for a company who's willing to send him to week-long trainings. He's got his eye on a business degree. This would be the perfect opportunity for him. Now maybe in your world you had mommy and daddy there to help or didn't have to start working and supporting yourself when you turned 18. But in a lot of cases, this program would help immensely.

What degree do you have Flounder that's so prestigious? I'm just curious why you wouldn't be for helping people get an education.

Well all of the most motivated people I know did not go to college. All of my lazy college friends were willing to take out big loans so they could get good jobs. I think flounder made some sacrifices to get his education and for a program like this to lessen the value of it is stupid.

Universities have to go through an accreditation program. Will all of these little one week courses have to be accredited? If they are so great it will make going to college very easy. If all of your on the job training equals a college degree then go to school it will be so easy then.

:confused:

I don't have a degree. My employer pays for me to do trainings. If the "stackables" idea passes through, then I'd get college credit for these trainings. For instance, last month I was in Oracle 10g Administration I. We teach that very class here, but over the course of a quarter. With the stackables program, I could have gotten college credit for that training. Make sense?

What you mention above would not get you a college education, It gets you something along the lines of an Oracle certification. It is my guess that while your school teaches it, its an elective and not considered CORE curriculum for a degree. I dont know all the courses at OSU though so if they have a degree which is DB oriented then I could see it, but like I said, I havent heard of it.

How about a 45 yr old man who just spent the past 25 yrs supporting his family? Now they've grown and moved out, maybe put through college. He works for a company who's willing to send him to week-long trainings. He's got his eye on a business degree. This would be the perfect opportunity for him.

A situation like this I may be able to see but I still see it as a certification option and not something accredited like a degree. Why wouldnt they just give him time off early everyday so he can take classes at an accredited institution? After all its the same thing right (Time off for education-- your words not mine.)

Now maybe in your world you had mommy and daddy there to help or didn't have to start working and supporting yourself when you turned 18. But in a lot of cases, this program would help immensely.

HAHAHA... you obviously dont know shit about me. I started working construction (masonry work) fulltime in the summers when I was 14yrs old for my grandfather making 4.15 an hr. Once I could drive, I worked 2 jobs during the school year (about 40hrs a week) and a hell of allot more then full time in the summers working for a moving company moving furniture. As far as moving out goes, I did move out when I was 18... I moved to Dayton and put myself through school. and while going to school I worked 3 jobs, paid all my own bills and put myself through flight training on the side. Many times I didnt have money for books so I just borrowed them from people the night before the test and taught myself 4 or 5 chapters. Other times I couldn't even attend the classes because I had to work. I got into many arguments with the various deans of the different schools at the university about their attendance policy since they tried docking my grade for attendance. Sleep was like fucking vacation to me and to this day Im still in the habit of only sleeping around 4-5 hrs a night.. MAX..

What degree do you have Flounder that's so prestigious? I'm just curious why you wouldn't be for helping people get an education.

Im all for education and I preach education on a regular basis. Im also all for helping people find jobs as in the business word today its more about who you know then what you know to get you an interview or job.

My degree..Does it really matter? I thought the whole topic was about people putting effort towards an education no matter what it was in.

If you must know, I have a degree in Computer Engineering and I will be paying the loans off for years to come..

My point is this.. In most cases, these training classes your referring to are not "stackable" to the point of a "College Degree"

I dont care how many IT trainings you take, they will not give you a degree.. they give you a certification in a specific area.

Earning a PMP (Project Management Professional) cert does not give you a "stack" for business. Accredited universities are accredited for a reason.

a 1 or 2 week training does not equate to a quarter or a semester of classes.

Why wouldnt the person just take online classes since they could do them at home?

Like I said.. I could see something like this for a vocational type degree or some other degrees but definitely not something like a Bachelors degree or above.

Well all of the most motivated people I know did not go to college. All of my lazy college friends were willing to take out big loans so they could get good jobs. I think flounder made some sacrifices to get his education and for a program like this to lessen the value of it is stupid.

Universities have to go through an accreditation program. Will all of these little one week courses have to be accredited? If they are so great it will make going to college very easy. If all of your on the job training equals a college degree then go to school it will be so easy then.

Okay, let's clear a few things up:

1) Flounder, I don't know what degree you have and I don't know how you got it (well I do now, but you know what I mean). My point was if it could've been made easier for you, wouldn't you want it? These would add up to associates degrees, but could be combined with more college coursework so you could continue on to your bachelors. My Oracle training by itself is just that, and will get me my Oracle Certified Professional certificate. However, if it was a stackable it could also count as college credit towards my Computer Engineering degree, maybe as an elective (no, that's not the degree I'm working towards... IT Business Management is more my direction).

2) Stackables can be English classes, math classes, etc. It isn't ONLY job training type stuff. For instance, there might be an English 105 stackable that is two weeks long, every evening for four hours. You just completed an entire quarter of English in two weeks. This allows you to get more done sooner, so you don't have to dedicated twelve weeks to it. These stackables would all piece together over however long you take to add up to a degree. They would be 100% transferable between colleges, and all accredited. These are actual college classes. We're not talking about Joe Blow taking a training in fork lift operation for ABC Warehouse and getting college credit.

3) Example: Fire departments around Columbus have Columbus State teach classes specifically for their departments. We have Fire 1, Fire 2, EMT-B, and EMT-P, all of which are State of Ohio courses. Columbus State will teach these classes on site for these Fire departments. The Board of Regents is trying to push this to be a state wide program. This would mean those firefighters and EMTs who took this training would be able to transfer it to OSU to take, say, Nuclear Disaster training. Then maybe on to Ohio University to take Emergency Communications. These one or two week cram courses would add up to a degree with the other needed core classes (math, English, etc).

So an accredited university is going to teach classes at an accerated pace 1-2 weeks and cover a complete quarter. and you will take 50-60 of these and stack them to a degree. WTF is the difference between this and college.

Kristen is in an accelerated program that is more than 40 hours a week for thirteen months and it is the equivalent of 2 years of college and will provide her with her second bachelors degree. What employer gives there employees 4160 hours of training? If they do then you deserve your degree. So after someone here receives 4160 hours of training provided by there employer by an accredited institution we will revisit this topic. Until then it is not the same as college and should not be treated that way.

Would it be fair to give me a degree in computer science just because I spend countless hours on the internet at my employers expense?

Okay, let's clear a few things up:

3) Example: Fire departments around Columbus have Columbus State teach classes specifically for their departments. We have Fire 1, Fire 2, EMT-B, and EMT-P, all of which are State of Ohio courses. Columbus State will teach these classes on site for these Fire departments. The Board of Regents is trying to push this to be a state wide program. This would mean those firefighters and EMTs who took this training would be able to transfer it to OSU to take, say, Nuclear Disaster training. Then maybe on to Ohio University to take Emergency Communications. These one or two week cram courses would add up to a degree with the other needed core classes (math, English, etc).

This would be great! I would love if my training transfered to OSU or to another University. I could get the degree I'm looking at a lot easier, and I'm not trying to get out of hard work! Like Flounder and Shitty said. Some people look down upon those who don't have a degree. I honestly want a degree! I hate the fact I only have national and state cards to show for all my hard work! I'm not in the least way unhappy or not proud of what I do for a living. All I'm saying is to have some help with a degree would be nice!

HAHAHA... you obviously dont know shit about me. I started working construction (masonry work) fulltime in the summers when I was 14yrs old for my grandfather making 4.15 an hr. Once I could drive, I worked 2 jobs during the school year (about 40hrs a week) and a hell of allot more then full time in the summers working for a moving company moving furniture. As far as moving out goes, I did move out when I was 18... I moved to Dayton and put myself through school. and while going to school I worked 3 jobs, paid all my own bills and put myself through flight training on the side. Many times I didnt have money for books so I just borrowed them from people the night before the test and taught myself 4 or 5 chapters. Other times I couldn't even attend the classes because I had to work. I got into many arguments with the various deans of the different schools at the university about their attendance policy since they tried docking my grade for attendance. Sleep was like fucking vacation to me and to this day Im still in the habit of only sleeping around 4-5 hrs a night.. MAX..

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i don't feel sorry for your sob story. alot of people have it rough in life.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i don't feel sorry for your sob story. alot of people have it rough in life.

I didnt ask for shit from you.. I was making my point that you shouldnt assume how people got where they are as he had previously stated.

Working my ass off has allowed me to get to where I am today.. I wouldn't change a thing...

I always wanted to ask you this flounder... why did you go to SPHS for only senior year? all the way from Crestline right?

I got in quite a bit of trouble my junior year and pretty much got kicked out of my public school... They couldn't really kick me out since it was public but they basically said that if you come back next year, we are pretty much going to take every opportunity we get to fail you in your classes so your better off leaving. I had a probation officer that came to the school 2-3 times a week and pulled me out of class to "check up" on me, I couldnt leave the county with out getting permission which really sucked since the town sat on the county line and going to mansfield meant leaving the county (I worked at snowtrails). Court mandated Curfew's and all that shit...