Help

GhostRider357

hey guys this is the bike im looking to buy from my bud next spring...it has 176000miles...2002 been dropped in a turn at about 40mph...D$D exhaust....damage on the right fairing and a crack by the turn signal.....he wants about 3500 for it...and hes going to get it inspected for me before i buy it.....tell me what u guys think!!!!!! thanks

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

I think you mean 17,600 - not 17K. IF it is 17K - STAY AWAY!!!

If 17,600, it doesn't seem to be a bad deal. It looks rather clean and even though the D&D pipe is a pile of shit, you can get exhausts pretty cheap for those.

I'd offer him $3k cash and see what he says. That's pretty fair, though...

Oh, yeah... What the hell is he going to have inspected? Valves? Cam Chain Tensioner? What?

I'd tell him to throw in new plugs, make sure the drive chain is good, have him take it to a LEGIT shop to have the valves checked, cam chain tensioner checked (Known to go bad) and go from there.

Otherwise, if he takes it to a shop, they'll look it over, check the oil level, chain tension on the drive chain, check the battery and call it good. Dealer service guys will NOT go deep into the bike unless he forks over $70-$80 per hour...

what kinda exhaust should i get?

I'd buy a full system, man. The stock headers are shit on those and you might as well go the right direction. You'd need a PC, though.

Maybe just do a slip-on. Buy an Arrow or Leo or similar. You can find them on Ebay in used condition pretty cheap or even new at a deal.

Stay away from:

-D&D

-Two Brothers

-Vance and Hines

-Muzzy

-Yosh - unless a race system in Ti or similar - otherwise, they are stamped out and the same shit quality as the D&D...

You might be able to find killer race systems off www.wera.com for those years of GSXR. The M4 race systems are pretty good - especially if it is off one of teh actual AMA bikes... Otherwise, avoid the top list and you'll be good.

he said he put 1grand in it after the drop like new regular matainence parts including new chain and sprocket.....i think we just gonna have the engine looked over at the dealership or some shit.....im not entirley sure

he said he put 1grand in it after the drop like new regular matainence parts including new chain and sprocket.....i think we just gonna have the engine looked over at the dealership or some shit.....im not entirley sure

$1k in chain and sprockets and regular maintaining? Dude, he got taken...

By the way, regular service will not inspect the valves or chain tensioner. They say they do, but they don't. Trust me...

You can check teh tensioner, but I'd get him to buy a new one. They're cheap.

If the motor is sound $3500 isn't bad. Why does everyone think that a bike keeps losing about $500 a year in value. Once they hit the $3500 $4000 range they aren't going to drop much for a few years. Hell You can barely buy a 99 SV 650 for $3000 that is in as good a shape as this bike.

Look like he replaced the Mirrors and the pipe was probably put on after the crash but could be wrong. Now if it is safety wired then I would say $2.5k or $3K but not if it was just street. Make sure the front suspension is good and seals are not leaking.

btw, the only way to make sure their perfectly straight is to ride it, obviously not you, but bring along someone who can, everything can appear straight, but ya never know, i rode a katana for a friend once, everything looked straight, but it shook like a banshee as low as 20 mph

btw, the only way to make sure their perfectly straight is to ride it, obviously not you, but bring along someone who can, everything can appear straight, but ya never know, i rode a katana for a friend once, everything looked straight, but it shook like a banshee as low as 20 mph

Only way to tell if it is straight is to get it to GMD or similar.

If it shakes when you ride it, it isn't likely a frame issue - probably steering head bearings, wheel, rotors, etc... Lift the front by use of a front stand that holds at the triple's bottom and push and pull by grabbing the base of the front wheel and see if it "jiggles" or is loose. If it is, steering head bearings... If they are good, and it still shakes, check the trueness of teh front wheel. Don't have a trueing stand? Use the front axle without the calipers on it and you can do a "quick" check...

Basically, they were pretty bullet proof. By the looks of it, it most likely NEVER had frame issues from that slow of a low side. Wheel, maybe... I really doubt it, though.

Offer $3200 and quit worrying about these guys saying it isn't worth more than $3k. If it is a clear title, it is worth $3200 easy...

I also have an older Yosh box where we can burn a good map on the stock ECU w/o you having to buy a Power Commander or such. The 03 and older GSXRs can be mapped with teh Yosh box...

I can do it cheap - FREE...