raid 0 now....raid 5 in a bit :)

420gsxr1000

the BEST upgrade for a home system!!!!! (if you can handle the setup and $$$$$$$$

fucking speed my shit up like a cpu upgrade!!!!! and as in the subject im running raod 0 for now till i get the extra $$$ for 2 more for raid 5 :) :) fast and backup (parity not mirror) :) yea i feel special....ok it bastard bash on me!!! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused... Raid 0 is just stripping and while it will defintley speed up your system, there is no benifet in case of data loss as one error brings down the entire array. Also you say you need 2 more for raid 5. how many disks are you running, raid 5 takes a minimum of 3 disks and raid 0 a minimum of 2. So do you have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions that are stripped or what. If you have 2 drives and are going to buy 2 more, you will have just enough for raid six which is same as raid 5 but with dual distributed parity instead of single. (allows for 2 drives to crash instead of 1)

well im running 2 drives as 0 (striped) now...i dont really care about backup that much on my home system cause thats why i burn a shit load of dvd back's...as for the OS drive, who cares, i can install windows in nothing flat.....but yes, i want to run a 4 disk raid 5 system, which will boost my speed again, and still give me a pairity check for a single drive failure.... 0+1 i was thinking about but i dont need the full mirroring....keep in mind this is a home system that i dont do shit on except spend $$$ to play with it :), and concidering i am NOT in IT, running raid at home is fucking cool man!!!!

Raid 0 = baby raid, no redundancy....striping w/o parity.... Giving up redundancy allows this raid level the best overall performance characteristics of the single raid level, especially for its cost. For this reason, it is becoming increasingly popular by performance-seekers, especially in the lower end home user..

WTF is raid? I thought it was something you used to kill bugs with?

Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks

a category of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.

Holy Crap guys I was just on campus and was talking about this thread and girls started throwing their panties at me.

where where???? lol

sounds like a big waste of money to me.

its not a waste of $$$$$ if your having fun!!!! and i like to have allot of fun!!!!! :banana::banana::metal::metal: ....SATA drives are cheap as fuck right now (7200rpm's that is , NOT the raptors 10,000) bought 2 250gig sata 300kb/s drives for like 140 bucks, instant raid (FUN), thats all the cost for me on this :):metal:.....my MB had the drivers for raids 0,1,5, and 0+1, so i said WTF

PUTTY...i agree, most would not bother with this for home use, but as stated above, i just like to play and see what i can actually do with a 'puter :)....it was a HUGE speed boost though, i cant wait to get 3 striped together!!! i do all my work on the raid drive then just either burn to a dl dvd or put on another drive (non raid)....shit i got 1.3 TB of space on my home system, and thats just for fun :metal::metal::metal: i wanna build a HTPC!!!!!

....what i dont get is why in win xp even though in the firewall settings i give VNC an "exemption" but it wont work, i HAVE to turn the firewall completely off!!!

why??? Satan??? Putty??? why??? its NOT the router cause im accessing "inside" my network, NOT from outside, so it works withthe firewall off and NO PORT forwarding....i guess its mute,.....if all port forwards are off, aint nothin gonna get thru and dont need the firewall..eh???

isnt novell cisco now???

Novell was in the OS/domain/server category. Cisco stays more in the layer2/3 or security market with their acquisitions. I've not seen anyone run Novell since I interned with the Feds 4 years ago. I'm sure there are still some big implementations out there, hell, goodyear still runs Lotus Notes for their email system.

Novell was in the OS/domain/server category. Cisco stays more in the layer2/3 or security market with their acquisitions. I've not seen anyone run Novell since I interned with the Feds 4 years ago. I'm sure there are still some big implementations out there, hell, goodyear still runs Lotus Notes for their email system.

Lets just say that there is a monster company in columbus that uses Novell and Notes. Putty knows them well. Actually I think you would be suprised at the companies that use Novell as their authentication controller for LDAP. Even while your logging into Active directory, the LDAP authentication in the high order of the directory structure may be done by Novell. Just because it doesnt say novell when you log in, doesnt mean your not using it.

HEY!!! We still use Lotus Notes for our email!!! :rolleyes:

Now if I could find a way to bypass Websense I'd pown this place.

Easy, just befriend your infosec guy and you're set.

And in other news, I have an IBM SAN coming in the next day or two for my SIM environment in my lab. Thirty-six 146gig, 15krpm drives in a raid 1+0 format, 4gig fibrechannel uplink.