Net Books

Chrome

yes, depending on operating system they are every bit as versatile as laptops, just much smaller, (read: more portable) and the hardware isn't as fast. this means longer battery life, but don't try running full featured pro-engineer and expect it to perform.

If you already have a desktop, a netbook is a perfect addition, You can check email, surf the web, run some office programs, watch a movie, listen to music, even play "time wasting" games (solitaire, minesweeper, etc). If you're planning on using it as your only system, you will probably want to go with something more substantial. (optical drive, multiple gigs of ram, a better processor)

if you have the option, I'd go with a XP system, it uses less resources than vista or 7, and it's still pretty good for most things.

mine is an acer aspire one with an atom processor, 1gig of ram, runnin xp home sp3.

Edited by magley64

They're exactly like laptops, just smaller.

You can install whatever progs you want (as long as you've got space on the drive).

Most (all?) have wireless and wired network connections.

I have an Asus 1201N (acutally, bought it for Jr.), which has a dual core Atom processor and NVidia HD-capable video card with HDMI out. 12" screen instead of the 10" on most netbooks, makes it much easier to read, yet is still small and easily carried around. Came with Windows 7 Premium, I loaded Linux on it and dual boot it. It goes from power button to log on screen in about 12 seconds, shuts down in about 7.

Edited by jblosser
clarified ownership of said netbook

Anybody have some input on netbooks? I was wondering if they are as versatile as a regular laptop. If not what are the main differences? Can you add programs like laptops?

They generally don't come with a cd drive so you have to use an external usb cd drive to add/load any software.

We have a MSI netbook we got from MicroCenter. Its good at what we bought it for.... running MS Streets & Trips and giving us online access while we travel.

I bought the Lenovo S10-2. Love it. The only drawback is the smaller keyboard. Which means some keys are in a bit different location. I'm getting used to it. LED wide screen, which extends battery time to 6 hours claimed. I get 5 1/2. 160Gb HD. SD card slot. Webcam (turned it off). SIMM slot but I don't know if that works yet. Bought 500Gb external drive and a mini-mouse, and will be picking up an external slim CD/DVD burner. It also has 3 usb ports and an external monitor connection. (for running a projector or 2nd monitor.) It was $320. $340 for the one with the SD card slot. It came with XP Home.

edit: You can zoom in and out on the touchpad, like people do with a phone. And other tricks.

Edited by ReconRat

I also have the S10 from lenovo. Been using it for about a year and it does everything but actual computer games. The main differences are the small screen size and smaller keyboard, but you get used to both of them. It probably won't be your main computer, but it is beyond good for traveling and such.

if you want a small PC with long battery life and dont want to deal with the rather shitty performance of a netbook, look into something like the Asus UL30VT or UL80VT. Both outlast netbook battery life (10-12 hours of real reported usage) and have real processors in them (Core 2 Duo CULVs) as well as switchable graphics chips (intel integrated and nvidia discrete), which means they can do real computing and gaming too. I was originally wanting something small and portable like a netbook until i looked into these. bit more expensive is the only drawback.

I highly advise staying away from the Acer netbooks. I have a 751h that locks up randomly, even with a 50 page thread on the Acer forums they have no idea how to fix the problem.

That being said, the concept behind a netbook is very sound. I ended up reformatting mine and loading Windows 7 using an internal DVD with an IDE - USB converter. Worked like a champ. Battery lasts for-friggin-ever, so I don't have to be concerned about trans-continental flights.