Stuck Float??

flyboy1011

As my bike was warming up this morning outside the garage I notice a nice little puddle of gas forming below the bike. I take a look around and notice that it's coming out of what seems like some kind of overflow tube? I did a little research on cbrforum and some people there are saying it could possibly be a stuck float in the carbs. I've never done any carb work, so is this something I can fix without taking everything apart? Or if anyone would be willing to come help me out (or I could come to you), I pay cash, booze, cigs, etc. What do you think? thanks guys and gals.

whack the float bowl to see if that solves it sometimes they bind or get stuck and need a little help.

i use a wooden dowel or the butt of a screw driver to get the inner two if they are buried.

Check and see if you have a vaccum operated petcock. I had the same prob with my Superhawk, turns out its was a torn diaphram in the petcock.25 bucks for a rebuilt kit and you don't have to touch the carbs. Try that be for you beat the hell out of them.

Unbolt the petcock from the tank. Mine has 3 bolts that hold the petcock together, remove them (becareful there is a spring in there) and you should see the diaphram. Check for tears. You can get the rebuild kit on ebay for cheaper than the dealer. If you aren't sure look the petcock up on bikebandit they have exploded diagrams should help.

Make sure the tank is empty btw. :lol: or at least upside down as gas will pour out. Also there is a screen filter that must come out of the tank with the petcock be careful not to tear it. Really its an easy job. 5 mins once you get the tank off.

If the petcock has 2 tubes coming off of it, it's vacuum operated.

If you pull the fuel line that is coming off the side of the petcock (the one on the bottom is the vacuum) and fuel pours out w/o the motor running, the diaphragm is failed.