Exhaust

dustinsn3485

Does anybody here have experience with exhaust packing etc. I've got an '01 ZX-6 and have built a slip-on for it. So for the past month or so I just used fiberglass insulation. However I'm looking for something a bit more permanent to wrap the inner core with. I'm using the stock can and machined an inner core. So, as oppsed to the inner core filling up the entire can, I've now got about 1 - 1.5 inches of empty space between the core and the outer can.

Is it advisable to wrap the core until it is extremely tight to fit into the can, or better to leave a bit of space?

What type of packing works best?

Thanks

haha! nice, but only for one time use!! but, at least you can eat the 'taters after your first ride......:cool:

anyway, i found some inexpensive packing on ebay. i left the packing a little loose and little bits of it got blown out the seams. so, if i were to do it again, i'd go a little tighter/snug. as long as you have something in there you're better off than the empty tin can rattle that hollow ones give. but, like you've already found, ownes corning is only reliable for your attic.....

WHOA!!! You NEED to use proper 4 stroke packing. You need to wrap it in multiple thick layers and as tight as you can get it. Less packing, more noise and back pressure issues.

Dude, packing is stupid cheap. Wrap it tight, use some tape to secure it in the wrapped position and stick it in there.

The way you are doing it, it isn't good and you are essentially wasting your time and hurting your bike in the long run...

WHOA!!! You NEED to use proper 4 stroke packing. You need to wrap it in multiple thick layers and as tight as you can get it. Less packing, more noise and back pressure issues.

Dude, packing is stupid cheap. Wrap it tight, use some tape to secure it in the wrapped position and stick it in there.

The way you are doing it, it isn't good and you are essentially wasting your time and hurting your bike in the long run...

+1

Dustin, what did you machine the inner core?

So what's a good packing? Money isn't much of an issue. Durability is.

i'd have to check online with what we typically use to repack, but the fourstroke stuff from FMF should be plenty good enough. Iron Pony has some of the stuff we used to use - I think it states on there specifically for four strokes. I'd buy two packs and get them wound as tight as I could and tape them so you can get it into the cannister housing. The outside tape won't burn too much as it is protected by the packing. But, if it does, it isn't going anywhere.

Buddies who follow you will swear you are burning coolant. The smell is VERY similar, but the new packing will give off a scent for a while that will eventually go away.

Even a little smoke here and there....

• 2 weeks later...
i'd have to check online with what we typically use to repack, but the fourstroke stuff from FMF should be plenty good enough. Iron Pony has some of the stuff we used to use - I think it states on there specifically for four strokes. I'd buy two packs and get them wound as tight as I could and tape them so you can get it into the cannister housing. The outside tape won't burn too much as it is protected by the packing. But, if it does, it isn't going anywhere.

again +1

Dustin, I packed mine with carbon fiber materials and then I packed the carbon fiber materials with the OEM packing material and make them as tight as possible. Then, I have the inner core special ordered and they come drilled. I hope your inner core diameter was the same with the exh. pipe, doesn't it? Result: Stock look, +4 to 6hp w/ PCIII, and 2 lbs. less. than OEM mufflers :metal:

I hope my OEM packing material can handle the heat because during the dyno tune, Joe made flames shooting out of the exh. tips. :metal: :metal:

again +1

Dustin, I packed mine with carbon fiber materials and then I packed the carbon fiber materials with the OEM packing material and make them as tight as possible. Then, I have the inner core special ordered and they come drilled. I hope your inner core diameter was the same with the exh. pipe, doesn't it? Result: Stock look, +4 to 6hp w/ PCIII, and 2 lbs. less. than OEM mufflers :metal:

I hope my OEM packing material can handle the heat because during the dyno tune, Joe made flames shooting out of the exh. tips. :metal: :metal:

Yeah, I machined it myself. The inner dia. is the same as that of the exhaust. Just by the butt dyno I've gained some power, but I've never put it on a dyno to compare a before and after. I like the stock look, but the custom sound and of course the power gain that seem's to be are a plus.

As for packing that sounds about like what I'll be doing. I can shoot flames out of mine, but that's mostly because I'm a little rich on the top end still. Trying to fine tune my jetting still. These carb'ed bikes take a bit more finesse than the PCIII.

Good God!! still with carburators?? ;)

I've tried to talk myself into selling it. I just can't. I have to much fun tinkering with them. The bike is still friggin fast. And for me to fix a dead spot at 8000RPM all i gotta do is a needle adj :) I would need a computer and a PCIII on a FI bike...I.E. Carb's are cheap to work on!