2010 Skyline Drive CBR meet.... pics and ride report

thirdgenlxi

Well I had a blast this past weekend!! The cbrjunkie.com forum I'm on had it's 2nd annual east coast Skyline Drive meet, which went off without a hitch just as last years meet. We had it the same time last year (Memorial Day weekend) which worked well since most had a 3 day weekend. I rode out to souther Maryland saturday morning, hung out with everybody saturday night and had a great time, then we all went to the meet on sunday, then made my way back to western NC on monday

Anyways, on with the pics....

Saturday morning... 8:30 am, a little later than I wanted to get going, but bike is now all packed and ready to go

DSC02201.jpg

Made my way up and over Old Fort Mountain on some familiar backroads (my daily commute route to work and back everyday)

DSC02202.jpg

DSC02203.jpg

Stopped in Morganton, NC to fill up with gas before jumping on the highway to slab it the rest of the way

DSC02203-2.jpg

Also had to get a little something to eat.... it's the breakfast of champions!!

DSC02205.jpg

Made my way NE

DSC02206.jpg

I stopped in Ironto, VA and met up with Jeff.... he's on the sportbikes.net forum, but I invited him along so we met up at this gas station along the way

DSC02207.jpg

A very nice Daytona 675 he has!

DSC02208.jpg

And from there we made our way east. Slabbed it for awhile then jumped off the highway for the last 2 hours or so and took some backroads. It was definitely a nice break from the highway! Crossed the big bridge over the Potomac river, and into MD about 7pm

DSC02209.jpg

As we're headed down Rt. 234 towards Lexington Park, we're probably 20 mins away and come up on a row of stopped traffic

9196dca7.jpg

From what we can gather, that white F-250 sitting there apparently spilled a load of some sort of seafood all over the road (oysters??). They looked white, and hard and made clanging noises as they were sweeping them off, lol. Firetruck was there spraying the road down with the firehose and sweeping them all off the road

d9e51863.jpg

After about 10-15 mins waiting there, they got it all cleaned up and we were free to go. We made it safely to the Days Inn in Lexington Park where everyone else was staying. Shortly after checking in we found 2 of the other guys in our group, Regis and Garrett.... both of them rode down from Pittsburg, PA. There was also another member staying in a different part of the hotel... we found him shortly after

DSC02211.jpg

Saturday night the rest of the crew came over to the hotel, we all hung out there for a few mins then headed out and rode over to Solomons Island to hang out and have a good time, grab some food and a few drinks. Don't have any pics of that, but had a great time!!

We were all pretty wiped and wanted to get some sleep, so we made our way back to the hotel by around midnight. Being that we couldn't get ground level rooms, and the hotel wasn't exactly in the greatest neighborhood, we had to get creative in locking the bikes to each other, lol

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

We ended up staying up until after 2am just hanging out outside the room BS'ing about all kinds of random things. Saw this minivan get pulled over in the parking lot behind us, and 4 popo's ended up showing up.... had to watch and see what happened there. Nothing too exciting though....

DSC02218.jpg

Sunday morning... phew, our bikes were still there!

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

We all took advantage of the hotels free breakfast and grabbed a bite to eat before heading out to meet the rest of the group

DSC02222.jpg

Made our way down to the first meet spot, just a couple miles down the road

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

Even though it's technically a CBR meet, we always still have a variety of bikes that join in

DSC02229.jpg

Made our way across the big bridge and out of MD in VA to the next meet spot where we'd pick up a few more people

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

DSC02234.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

DSC02236.jpg

DSC02237.jpg

DSC02238.jpg

DSC02239.jpg

After Kevin led us all on some great backroads the entire way from the last gas station, we make our 3rd and final stop before we got to Skyline. We were supposed to meet up with a couple more people here, but they never showed. I believe they joined in later. We were all pretty hot by now, so taking a break in the shade for a bit and grabbing some drinks

DSC02241.jpg

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

Shortly after we arrived at the Front Royale entrance to Skyline Drive

DSC02253.jpg

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

As much of a gear nazi as I usually am, even I too have my squidly moments, lol. We were inside the park where it's only one road, and 35mph at the most.... I had to take it off for a bit

DSC02251.jpg

But that also allowed me to get some action shots as we were riding along. Which is a good thing I did, cuz damn near half the overlooks were closed for construction, so we never did get to pull off and line up all the bikes for pics

DSC02256.jpg

DSC02257.jpg

DSC02258.jpg

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02261.jpg

DSC02262.jpg

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02264.jpg

DSC02265.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

There were lots of bicyclists out going both ways. This particular one was going uphill.... very slowly, lol

DSC02268.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02274.jpg

Looks like Team Mini Cooper was out there this weekend too

DSC02275.jpg

DSC02276.jpg

DSC02277.jpg

DSC02279.jpg

DSC02280.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

Stopped at the little rest area to grab some lunch and cool off for a bit

DSC02284.jpg

And back up Skyline a little further

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

It was getting later in the day, so we decided to jump off Skyline Drive at Hwy 211, which is a fun little road going out of the park. Went down the road about 50 miles or so and we made this our final stop before we all parted ways

DSC02295.jpg

We got some stranger lady in a Toyota to snap a bunch of pictures for us. What a great group of people this is.....

DSC02296.jpg

We all hung around for a little while longer and chit-chatted for a bit

DSC02298.jpg

And snapped more pics too.... can never have too many of those, right??

DSC02302.jpg

It was getting late by now, and we all still had a decent ride home (most of the guys were headed back to MD). I was planning on finding a place to stay somewhere in the area there. Kevin lived not all too far from there though, and said he was headed to the DQ just down the road for some ice cream, so I tagged along.... after a hot day, I couldn't say no

DSC02304.jpg

Oreo Blizzard FTMFW!! Thanks Kevin!

DSC02305.jpg

We said goodbye and went our separate ways. I got back on Rt. 29 south and rode for a little while longer. Right as I was coming into Culpeper, VA I was able to catch a beautiful sunset right in front of me

64cac226.jpg

Shortly after I found a room in Culpeper and called it a night. Had to leave the bike outside, but this place was out in the middle of nowhere so I wasn't all too worried

DSC02308.jpg

Monday morning.... had intentions of getting on the road early, but that didn't happen, lol. Guess I was pretty tired, more like 10:30, got her all packed up again and ready to roll

DSC02310.jpg

The first part of the day was absolutely beeeaauuuutiful!!

DSC02311.jpg

After a couple hours on the highway, I took a little break and jumped off to explore some of Virginia's beautiful backroads. This was near Natural Bridge, VA

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

My buddy in Greenville, SC had sent me a text earlier in the day saying to be careful as I may be running into some nasty weather on my way back. While it was bright and sunny at the time, several hours later that would change. I could see the clouds ahead and started to get a few sprinkles, so I pulled into this gas station to put on my raingear. There was a HUUUUGE group of Harleys at this gas station as well

DSC02317.jpg

Saw these guys pulling out.... why does this not surprise me in the least......??

f45a2f9c.jpg

The sky was definitely NOT looking in my favor, lol

DSC02318.jpg

I pulled up the radar map on my phone to look at what I was headed into. The red pin is me at the gas station that I stopped at, and what I'm headed into. Ahhh the joys of travelling on two wheels.... but, I wouldn't have it any other way

d96fde52.jpg

Gotta admit I sure am glad I wasn't headed towards Charlotte.... that's what they were getting....yikes!

d3b5b5ff.jpg

I left the gas station and it was just sprinkling a little bit, got on the on ramp right next to the gas station, and by the time I merged onto the highway (maybe 0.2 mile), it was POURING. Guess I picked a good time to put the raingear on, haha. Made it through the rain no prob... it didn't last too long, then it was just sprinkles after that. Stopped to take one last break at a rest area in Marion, NC

DSC02321.jpg

Ummm.... WTF?? Where's my bar end?? Pretty sure it's in Virginia... somewhere

DSC02322.jpg

Sky still wasn't looking too appealing, so I left the raingear on

DSC02324.jpg

Made my way back to Asheville, NC.... had to make a quick stop at Best Buy and pick up a new laptop so I could post my pictures up when I got home. My poor old Sony Vaio finally kicked the bucket last week

DSC02325.jpg

I didn't need anything fancy at all, so I just picked up a cheapo netbook

DSC02326.jpg

Hey whatever works, right?? Cargo net = best $5 I ever spent, lol

DSC02328.jpg

Made it home safe n sound by just after 8:30 pm... gave her a pat on the tank for a job well done and tucked her away for the night

DSC02332.jpg

Ending mileage (I forgot to take a beginning shot). I reset the trip B odometer when I left, and it rolled over so in total it was 1,312.7 miles for the weekend. Bike ran like a champ... not a single problem!

DSC02331.jpg

That's all the pics I've got. All in all, had a great time and always love hanging out and riding with these guys!! Can't wait to do it again next year....