Sticking Clutches

perrymark80

Ok like I said, I am about to enter the stupid question zone.... I bought a 98 Katana. The Clutch grabs sometimes, and sticks. I mean my left foot is just wasted. I was wondering if I can adjust the clutch, maybe the plates were not soaked in oil like they should have been? Or do I just need new plates? Any suggestions? For the sake of my left foot lol.

Two things can happen. One is that the clutch is not completely releasing. Either because the cable is worn out, the cable isn't adjusted properly, or something is wrong in the clutch basket (disks, plates, springs, shaft, etc). This would happen in all gears.

The second is that the shift drum is not working properly. Generally a case of the shift forks not moving smoothly and/or properly on the shift drum. That puts the gear clusters a small amount out of position resulting in a hung/stuck shift. (It can also be a bent shift fork, or other part worn out) This will usually only effect one or two gears, not all of them.

First thing to check is condition of cable and operation. If it's hydraulic shifter, still check condition and operation.

Other little things to check; if the shift lever is loose on the shift shaft (or the shifter linkage between the two), same deal. It won't quite ever want to go into gear.

If anyone ever added an oil additive, like STP, the clutch plates will stick together. Especially when cold and first trying to use the clutch, it will not let go that first time till it is shifted into gear. Then it will jump, stall, and release the stuck plates/disks.

Somebody should evaluate it for you. The difference can be felt from experience.

Thanks for the replies... I took the clutch basket out and pryed the clutch rings away from the steelplates. The rings seemed to be in good shape but after putting them in, it shifts a lot better now but still jumbles up sometimes. I figure I need new plates but will try adjusting first. I just soaked the plates in oil. MOTORCYCLE oil lol. I have heard of ppl using car oil, but I only use motorcycle oil. However, I can not speak for the guy who sold it to me. I will also change the oil just because I dont know how long it has been. It was definitely an improvement though.