Down with the Rich, Again?

jhaag

One more thing that pisses me off about the current administration: UNNECESSARY ROAD PROJECTS! They have been laying shitty chip and seal over more good roads in eastern Ohio where the road is not even in bad condition. I think "F Obama" everytime I see one of those damn "American recovery investment act" signs in front of one of my favorite roads... you know it's never going to be as good of a ride once they get done with it.

You do know how much was spent for those signs right? :nono:

Where do you get that out of anything...

blah blah blah, so on and so forth...

So, your blanket statements are more correct than my blanket statements. How can I argue with that? On the 'net it's more about who more strongly insists that they are right. I didn't see sources or numbers... do you want to do a complete report for all of us with footnotes? :D In other words, this is pointless. Neither one of us will convince the other.

I think we agree about much more than we disagree. What I'm seeing as a fundamental difference in opinion has to do with our views on government regulation of the financial industry, and my isolationist viewpoint. I concede I might be wrong on these things... I think it's much more complicated than either of us know.

Examples of government interference? The most recent being subprime loans driven by "social justice" legislation in congress... you know, the main cause of the failure of fannie / freddie? Many have said the great depression was only prolonged by artificially inflating wages and prices.

For me, it really just comes down to who you are willing to trust. I have zero faith in the US government. I have zero faith in the "goodness of people" (I believe people are fundamentally flawed as well). I think capitalism, when it is working, uses the worst in people to produce something for all. The problem is that it isn't working any more, due to tampering by the government, and the global economy. It really will only work with some protections and isolation, which is why I believe in that. If there is an open world economy, the place with the cheapest labor force and materials wins. Maybe we can't go back to the way it was in the past... I just hate to see every manufacturing company move production overseas or north and south.

I think it's wrong to punish a corporation for being successful through taxes, but appropriate to punish them through tarriffs for choosing the shortcut of non-US production... level the playing field. The idea being to get the jobs and technology to stay here.

I don't know where you work, and in what industry, but in manufacturing when you have a bad product and a poorly run company, you lose money and close the doors... unless you're GM or Chrysler. I think it's appropriate to let failures fail, and not to punish those who succeed for other's failure.

And, I'm all for anything to forces US corporations to do business in the United States, rather than import from a 3rd world slave labor country.

If we want to keep our standard of living, that is the only way it's going to happen. Otherwise, our economy is going to continue to decline, while the rest of the world profits from us.

I've heard $2000 a piece. Is that what you were hearing?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/signs-stimulus/story?id=11163180

ABC News has reached out to a number of states about spending on stimulus signs and learned the state of Illinois has spent $650,000 on about 950 signs and Pennsylvania has spent $157,000 on 70 signs.

That's $684.21 and $2242.86 respectively.