Jack Hanna wards off grizzly with pepper spray

Casper

the cub "charged?" that's not what I was expecting to read.

Usually the cub gets curious and momma bear steps in to take away the new toy (you). I've never heard a report of a cub actually being the aggressor - but the extent of my bear knowledge is limited to watching that stupid "grizzly man" documentary on (wacko) Tim Treadwell.

He's lucky to be alive, I knew of a guy who tried that in Alaska and it didn't end so well for him. On another note I've been trying to photograph a bear in Ohio for about 16 years with zero luck so far. One was struck by a car and killed near Alliance about 1 1/2 years ago. If anyone has a any leads let me know.

My dad worked with him, back when Jack was the Zoo director. I've met him a few times and he's a really cool guy. I'm really glad to hear he made it out. I'll ask my dad if he knows any other details that weren't published.

Jack won't learn until he's on "When animals attack".......as a victim!

what makes you think he needs to "learn" anything, and why do you think being attacked would stop him?

We all know the risks involved in riding a motorcycle, and I for one wouldn't stop riding just because I crashed one...

See what you've done now Jack? The bears had to retaliate! The streets are gonna get real ugly real soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/montana.bear.attack/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Bear attacks on separate campsites in Montana left one person dead and two others injured Wednesday, according to wildlife officials.

Ron Aasheim, a spokesman for Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, told CNN that authorities are still trying to determine what type of bear attacked the campers at the remote Soda Butte campgrounds outside Yellowstone National Park, and whether multiple bears were involved.

No food was found in the tent where a middle-aged man was found dead, according to Aasheim, who said officials are unsure of the reason for the maulings.

Aasheim identified the injured as a man and woman. CNN affiliate KTVQ reported that the injured man was bitten on the leg and the woman suffered injuries to her arms.

Local coverage from KTVQ

Authorities told KTVQ that the incident happened between midnight and 2 a.m. Wednesday.

Wildlife officials are placing bear traps and conducting aerial surveillance, Aasheim said.

No prior incidents have been reported in the area this year, he said.

and now they are trying to learn to drive :eek:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/2010/07/27/2010-07-27_hungry_black_bear_crashes_car_in_pursuit_of_peanut_butter_sandwich.html

Hungry black bear crashes car in pursuit of peanut butter sandwich

BY Lauren Johnston

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 8:38 AM

alg_resize_car_bear.jpg A large black bear broke into a car in Colorado in hot pursuit of a peanut better sandwich.

Related News

Forget the honey pot: This bear was lured by a different poison -- peanut butter.

A rambling black bear attracted by the scent of a peanut butter sandwich managed to crash a car in his pursuit of the tasty snack, Reuters reports.

The large bear apparently has dexterous paws. He was somehow able to open the car door and climb in, and while clawing toward the sandwich, he knocked the vehicle's gear shift into neutral.

That sent it careening down a hill and into the woods.

The incident occurred early Friday in the Colorado town of Larkspur, near Denver. The car belongs to 17-year-old Ben Story, who was alerted to the bear's crash by the blaring of his car's horn.

Story then discovered the bear trapped in his car, with teeth bared, clawing frantically to tear free of the vehicle.

"There was a peanut butter sandwich in the backseat," Story said, explaining what likely drew the animal to his car, which was ruined.

The bear was trapped for about two hours before authorities were able to release it back

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/2010/07/27/2010-07-27_hungry_black_bear_crashes_car_in_pursuit_of_peanut_butter_sandwich.html#ixzz0v2Wa9n8e