Wireless security

20thGix

So ive been meaning to secure my wireless internet connection but it seems like im reading chinese. Is it as simple as going to my signal strength icon, clicking properties, security, then selecting WPA or anyone of the options. I have a linksys router. I tried going thru their "step by step" but i got lost somewhere along the lines. I need layman's terms. Some help would be appreciated.

So ive been meaning to secure my wireless internet connection but it seems like im reading chinese. Is it as simple as going to my signal strength icon, clicking properties, security, then selecting WPA or anyone of the options. I have a linksys router. I tried going thru their "step by step" but i got lost somewhere along the lines. I need layman's terms. Some help would be appreciated.

It needs to be configured through the router. Once you know what your default gateway is (start<run<cmd<ipconfig) you plug that set of numbers into your browser and log in. It isn't too bad... Next best option would be someone close or Linksys tech support...

from 3 years ago, but the steps are easy to follow and the advice is sound.

by default, your router's username is blank (don't put anything in at all) and the password is "admin", without the quotes.

http://technicallyeasy.net/2007/09/securing-linksys-wrt54g-wireless-router/

Linksys routers are pretty easy to set up.

Find default gateway (as referenced above), and plug into your browser. My guess is it's http://192.168.1.1, or possibly 0.1.

It's going to ask for a username and password. If you left it as the default (which 90% of the time that's the norm), the username is blank and password is admin. From there you have the router config screen, just flip to wireless security and configure away.

Bear in mind that not all devices play well with certain security protocols. For instance, the original XBoxes didn't use WPA encryption at all. I can't think of anything outside of PC's that accepts WPA2. You just have to play with it and see where you can get a happy medium. I'd stay away from WEP if possible, but sometimes it's not.

Beat me by 4 minutes. You really do give 110%. ;)

usually... Between 842,710 "critical" patches on Super Patch Tuesday today and a bunch of f'ed up migrated Exchange accounts that now have corrupted databases (they don't hurt a thing except slam the Blackberry cluster out of commission every x minutes or hours) I'll be up all night.

yippee. Too bad it's gonna rain tomorrow, as I ain't a-goin' in to work.

usually... Between 842,710 "critical" patches on Super Patch Tuesday today and a bunch of f'ed up migrated Exchange accounts that now have corrupted databases (they don't hurt a thing except slam the Blackberry cluster out of commission every x minutes or hours) I'll be up all night.

yippee. Too bad it's gonna rain tomorrow, as I ain't a-goin' in to work.

Damn. We've had screwed Exchange databases before, and they are no fun at all.

Linksys routers are pretty easy to set up.

Find default gateway (as referenced above), and plug into your browser. My guess is it's http://192.168.1.1, or possibly 0.1.

Mine is NOT a linksys but my router config login is...

http://192.168.0.1/login.htm

It's also not a bad idea to disable SSID broadcasting. If people can't see your wireless network they will be less likely to try accessing it.

Yeah, I like MAC address filtering also. It's kind of nice just to add that extra little hurtle for that unauthorized person. Of course, this is something to be used along with the WPA and such.

I think it would be fun just to try and taunt the casual unauthorized user with an unencrypted wifi access point with no allowed MAC addresses. :D

This is where i get stuck. I'm on step #14 and as soon as i click on the wireless option it will stay on this "searching for client device" screen im assuming for eternity. I'm using the link jblosser posted for the instructions. Here is a screen shot of where im at. Where the hell is the wi-fi setup button?

picture.php?albumid=997&pictureid=12228

its a WRT54G2 V1. I pressed that button. It was the only other button other than the reset button and nothing. Its not labeled but has that same symbol. I will screw with it tomorow. Until then free internet for all the neighbors. Thanks again for the help.

If you're done for the night, and really don't want the neighbors piggybacking, hit the "internet on" or something like that on your cable modem (or just unplug the power from the modem).

I'll post up something for ya by tomorrow evening. It's not difficult, we'll get there.

** If you get to where you can't get into the router - something didn't work right, your password doessn't work, whatever:

** - Turn off the router (pull the plug), wait a minute, plug it back in, try again.

** - If you still can't get in, we can reset the router and start over:

** -- Unplug everything from the router, including power

** -- Turn the router on and wait 2 minutes until it's fully up and running

** -- Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then let go (the router will reset, reboot, and be ready in 2-ish muinutes)

** - At this point we'll be back at the beginning, username is blank (nothing), password = admin

If you were getting stuck at step 14, then you've already:

- set the maximimum number of DHCP users (optional)

- changed the administrative password into your router (NOT optional)

- enforced a secure connection to the router (optional)

So now we need to:

- Change your network's name (NOT optional)

-- From the home page of the router, click Wireless, and then click Basic Wireless Settings

-- Click the button labeled Manual

-- Type a name for your network in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box

-- Click the Save Settings button (remember what you named your network...)

*** EDIT - before you do this next step, make sure any/all Windows machines that will be connecting via wireless to this network are at least running XP, Service Pack 2

*** To easily check what version of Windows you have, click Start, Run, type (without the quotes) "winver", and hit enter. A box will pop up on-screen telling what you're running.

- Set the wireless security to WPA-Personal2 (NOT optional)

-- From the home page of the router, click Wireless, and then click Wireless Security

-- Choose WPA Personal 2

-- Leave the Algorithim at AES

-- Type a "shared key" in the box, at least 8, but not more than 63 characters

--- Use something hard to guess, but easy to remember, e.g. ThisIs20thGixsHomeNetwork

--- The shared key IS case-sensitive

-- Leave the Group Key Renewal at 3600 seconds

-- Click the Save Settings button

You will probably want to reboot (turn off, and then on) your router.

Once it's back up, you'll need to go to each wireless client (laptop, netbook, iPad, iPod Touch, etc.) and configure the wireless settings to match what you just set up - the network name, type of security, and the secret phrase. Good news is you <should> only need to set them up once.

These settings should keep all but very determined folks off of your network.

If you get stuck, post up and I'll assist.

IF they happen to get on, then we can explore some advanced (and fun) activities, like setting up a "man in the middle" which will capture everything the interlopers do on your network (passwords, bank account numbers, sheep pr0n sites they visit) and they won't have a clue (use what you find as you see fit), or turn their browser pages upside down, or, well, you get the idea.

Edited by jblosser
spel chek fayled uhgen

Thanks for all the help guys....especially jblosser. You made it idiot proof. The only problem i had was everytime i "saved changes" it would drop my connection. Just had to reconnect then it would continue on. Thanks again for the help! If i ever meet you i owe you a beer.

As the saying goes, "if you make something idiot proof, someone will design a better idiot..."

...with all due respect, of course...!

Glad I could help ya out.

So, time to screw with the neighbor now???

The only problem i had was everytime i "saved changes" it would drop my connection. Just had to reconnect then it would continue on.

Yeah, I've found that certain browsers are better at working with routers. I'd try Firefox or Opera and see how that works.

As the saying goes, "if you make something idiot proof, someone will design a better idiot..."

...with all due respect, of course...!

Glad I could help ya out.

So, time to screw with the neighbor now???

There are a few to mess with. I can pick up 5 different connections from the laptop.