screwing with CL responders

redkow97

my street bike's up for sale, and someone contacted me last night asking if it was still available.

this was the follow-up I got today:

i will love to make an instant purchase,so please and please do withdraw the advert

from Craigslist,i don't mind adding an extra $50.00 for you to take

the advert down from Craigslist and also with the shipping funds so

that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item. I will also

like you to know that i will be paying via check,and it will be over

night payment due to the distance. You don't need to bother yourself

with the shipment.i will do take care of that. So i will need you to

provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of

the check.

1. Your full name

2. Your mailing address be it residential or postal address

3. Your Phone Number.

Once again, I will like you to know that you will not be responsible

for shipping...i will have my mover come over as soon as you have

cashed the check.

the guy's already got my full name from my email address, so I responded with my work email and phone number.

clearly it's a scam, but I want to see what the guy's next move is.

am I setting myself up to get screwed via some elaborate identity theft scam I don't even see coming?

LIke I said, as soon as I replied, the guy had my first and last name.

Watch for your CL ad to come back up from some one else...

or... expect a request to cancel the sale and refund money right after you've cashed the (bogus) check.

You can keep some for your troubles, of course...

edit: when they say "advert", they are far far away where Americanese isn't spoken....

Edited by ReconRat

he wil write a check on a closed account for more than the purchase price and ask you to sent back the difference. most people think that because it shows up in their account that it has cleared. So you send him money then the check bounces a week or two later.

I just got one of these for some go-kart parts I put on craigslist. I think its funny how they try to spell even a child in kindergarten can spell better that "Advert" first time I saw that in one of those e-mail's was a double take on the misspelled words. Nice try scamers

I have my 2007 z1000 and my 06 Rm450z and that's all I get is crap! It's always some foreign idiot that can't spell that wants to know if the bike is still available and then on the second email gives me a link and asks if it's the same bike. Obviously spam so I just tell them "Yes it is and it's very rare so you should come buy it now!"

I'm also sick of the trade offers for crap that isn't even close to the same value of what I'm selling. I've gotten offers to trade my Rm450z for a Yz85.

What the hell am I going to do with that? I've also gotten a text asking me if I would trade it for a modded Xbox and a couple old nintendo's?!! Really???!!!

I'm not about to give out my address to anyone on CL.

if they want to come look at the bike, I'll meet them near by. My bike is hardly worth stealing, but other stuff in my garage (like my other bike) is.

I figured giving the guy my work address would cover me if (by some act of god) someone actually showed up to take the bike. I'd just tell them "you're gonna have to give me a ride home."

I once had a guy wanting me to ship the snowblower I was selling. He'd pay extra for overnight shipping to Maryland. Jesus, how much would THAT cost?

Obviously these people think we're fucking nuts, because they actually get people that fall for it.