THE REVEREND ELTON JONES (joke)

lagalaxy8

THE REVEREND ELTON JONES

The Reverend Elton Jones

The Rescue Mission

Cedar Falls, Iowa 61409

Dear (Insert your name here),

Perhaps you have heard of me & my nationwide campaign to further the cause of Temperance. Each Year for the past fourteen, I have made a tour of Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, New Jersey & Illinois & have delivered a series of lectures on the evils of drinking. On this tour I have been accompanied by my young friend & assistant, Clyde Lindstrome. Clyde, a young man of good family & excellent background, is a pathetic example of life ruined by excessive indulgence in whiskey & women.

Clyde would appear with me at the lectures & sit on the platform wheezing & staring at the audience through bleary, bloodshot eyes, sweating profusely, picking his nose, passing gas, & making obscene gestures, while I would point him out as an example of what drinking, etc., can do to a person.

Last summer, unfortunately, Clyde died. A mutual friend has given me your name, & I wonder if you would care to take Clyde’s place on my next tour?

Very truly yours,

Reverend Elton Jones

Rescue Mission