Importing an FJ40 into the US

twincharge7

Why don't you just get an H1 and be done with it.

Hummers are a pain in the ass in any type of tight, woodsy trail. I would much rather have a well equipped Fj or Jeep over an H1.

Good luck with the importing, I know nothing about how that works. But coming from somebody who has had a few jeeps (2 TJs including a rubicon, and a built Cj)...those Cruisers are badass and I would love to have one.

uhhh... why? advice, go buy a TJ jeep. Suggestions. Go buy a TJ jeep. Seems awfully damn expensive. Why an FJ40?

I think everyone misunderstood with what I wrote and I do apologize for not making it clear. I need advice on how to import it into US and am wondering if anyone had an experience of importing/exporting vehicles.

Dweezel, I'm going to answer your question personally.

1. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a Jeep for an off-road vehicle, especially CJ7. thanks for the advice/suggestion.

2. expensive? The money is worth spent, every penny, you've seen my bike, right? ;). This FJ40, from the past 15 years, has been our family legacy. Our family is Toyota family and I used to race a twincharged mr2 (I still own it) and the mr2 is one out of 7 made in the US until the beast, a ZO6, replaced it. We used to own turboed '69, '71 Land Cruisers, and now, we can't let go this '82 FJ40 because this thing is our proud and joy in off-road competition back home. The memory of rocks, muds, and the scene of its diving under water and came out of the water with the engine still running are priceless. We've sold the '71 for $20K about 17 years ago and Yes, the buyer was willing to spend that much money back then because our dad was SUPER-perfectionist with his toys. Yeahhhh...I was honored by my dad to choose and pick the turbo myself. Anyways, this FJ40 was modified by my brother from suspension, air-locker, genuine Toyota winch, etc. etc., and about 2 years ago, every bolts and nuts were inspected and every rubber seals were replaced and the engine was rebuilt from the ground-up (valves, pistons, heads, every seals in the engine) because of the nature of my dad's. A few years ago, someone offered $18K but he still couldn't let it go.

For point 3 below, I'm warning you of all of the cheezzyyy story but I know all guys can relate to this:

3. Nowadays, my brother and I are addicted to speed and racing (on-road/track) and my dad in Indonesia, because of his old age and his physical limitations, won't do off-roading anymore. I firmly believe that this was one of his ways to bond with his sons. Since the FJ top speed is only 60mph due to its gear mods, the FJ has been in the garage and rarely used by my dad. Two days ago, after one long conversation and explained everything with my full-respect/humility to my dad, I asked his permission to have his proud-n-joy imported here (imagine: I was on my knees because I know in Asian tradition, I crossed the line). With a long sigh, my dad was quiet for the longest period of time that I could remember. As the youngest son (the oldest usually gets everything), this was asking too much and I felt like my heart skipped so many beats. I know that I couldn't imagine what was running in his mind. In our family, we know that we dont EVER upset/disrespect/talk-back to dad because we can be disowned and that's the most embarrassing thing EVER. Surely, I know my mom has been pressuring my dad to sell the FJ for YEEARRSS because their kids are not around in Indonesia anymore. My dad JUST can't let go the bonding-father-sons-memory attached to this FJ. I know how broken his heart was when he sold his '71. That's a regret! Right before I was going to apologize for asking the permission, my dad said, "Son, you know what's mine is yours. Money and materials are not that important because we are family... Actually, I hate selling this thing but now, I can make sure that this one can stay within the family. So, yes...and I've decided to pay all of the expenses to ship it there as well". (I know this decision was made without consulting my mom and in the family, my dad's say is always the final). I was dumb-founded for few seconds and speechless because I used up all of my strength not to break down. The truth is: my dad is a man's of principle and the way he shows how much he loves his sons is WEIRD due to his strong characters and integrity. Ahhh....I remember he dropped me off in the middle of a jungle in Indonesia for about 3-4 hours when I was 7 years old as what he called it "the beginning of masculine-soul training". No wonder, my brother and I are very strong will. Enough of that.

Just watch-out for an FJ40 on the road with black similar-to-rhino-liner-materials on inside and out with 325/60/20 BFG AT TA/KO and (possibly) equipped with GT35R. he he he.

Oh, This is something you already own (kinda)? I thought you were just importing some random FJ for shits and giggles, I was gonna say there's ALLOT cheaper ways to get an off road toy :lol:

In all honesty the FJ is a bad machine! I really like the older Taco's for off road too, they are tough pieces of equipment. I know what your talking about about "handing down" cars, Thats how I got my 'Vette, 1975, My dad is the original owner of it been in our hands ever since. Everything I know about cars stemed from that thing :D

Not to sound gay or anything but thats a pretty good story.. Thats awesome that your dad wants to keep it in the family and is willing to ship it here to you. As far as importing cars goes, I have no idea but by all means let us know. Im guessing it will take a long time to complete the process. I have heard of people shipping vehicles before and they sit in customs for 6 months.

hell, if my country built a motorcycle worth owning I'd buy it!

someone else has already said it best...

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Outside trucks, can you name any American built cars that are "worth owning"? Back peddle, eh?

In any case, HDs are 80% Japanese and over 60% of Chevy cars are made in Mexico so, if you bought either of those, you'd be buying foreign, as well....

Toyota is more American than the big three....

fugghhh...just found out from my dad that the process of getting the FJ out of Indonesia is almost impossible. We're still going to work on it and trying to get more info. I called DOT, EPA, NHTSA, and the custom at the New Jersey Port and even Highway patrol of OH (for registration here) to only find out how easy it's to go through the custom because the car is over 21 years old. Keep your fingers crossed!! ;)