weightlifting

Hutch

I lifted in high school, maxed out at 280 when I was 170 pounds. Then messed up myshoulder during basketball preason. Haven't lifted much since then. I never took any supplements. Now I just lift buckets of feed and a bunch of pigs, with the occasional woodcutting thrown in for good measure

^ this strategy has also occurred to me. I've toyed with cutting out weights all together and just getting mroe serious about rock climbing...

having a good strength-to-weight ratio might be more attainable (and healthier) than trying to bulk up and pack on muscle...

Eat right

Push ups, sit ups, pull ups

No soda

Take the stairs instead of the elevator

Use your shoes or a bike instead of the car

Don't be lazy

Profit.

I know you're half joking and half serious, but this is REALLY solid advice; particularly the soda comment. I recently swore off hot dogs too.

"dieting" is difficult - but it's really pretty easy to identify foods/drinks that have no nutritional value whatsoever and avoid them completely.

re: taking the stairs - We have a gym in the basement of my office building, and I work on the third floor. A fat lady was holding the elevator for me (she was going up to ground level...), and I told her I was taking the stairs. She asked why, and I lied and told her I was claustrophobic so she wouldn't feel quite as miserably overweight. I'm such a nice guy!

I've got a question about eating and working out. I'm gonna start getting

back to the gym, I've got to lose some weight and tone up.

Here's my scenario/question.... I work basically 8-5 M-F so I can only go to the gym in the evenings during the week.

Is it better for me to eat dinner immediately upon coming home from work, then go work out at the gym or go work out

right after work and end up eating dinner late??

I hate eating late, but I don't think working out on a full stomach is a good idea either :confused:

I ain't skippin dinner, and I hate working out to late cause then I have a hard time getting to sleep.

Not really sure the best course of action.

PS. We belong to Metro Fitness, if anyone on the West side

is a member and wants to hit the Metro in Hilliard a couple nights

a week let me know.

Here's my scenario/question.... I work basically 8-5 M-F so I can only go to the gym in the evenings during the week.

Is it better for me to eat dinner immediately upon coming home from work' date=' then go work out at the gym or go work out

right after work and end up eating dinner late??[/quote']

Is there no way you could get up earlier before work to go to the gym? It's a great time to go because you body is well rested and you're on an empty stomach, plus for me I feel more peppy and energetic throughout the day after working out in the morning.

Is there no way you could get up earlier before work to go to the gym? It's a great time to go because you body is well rested and you're on an empty stomach, plus for me I feel more peppy and energetic throughout the day after working out in the morning.

Not really. I already get up at 5:30 and am out the door by 7. I'm a service tech so sometimes I have to leave earlier depending on where I've got to be first call.

The gym opens at 5:30, I doubt I'd be able to accomplish everything I do in the morning before work if I try to get to the gym too.

Not really. I already get up at 5:30 and am out the door by 7. I'm a service tech so sometimes I have to leave earlier depending on where I've got to be first call.

The gym opens at 5:30' date=' I doubt I'd be able to accomplish everything I do in the morning before work if I try to get to the gym too.[/quote']

just make your lunch the bigger meal and then after your workout have a smaller meal with protein and carbs to fuel the body

just make your lunch the bigger meal and then after your workout have a smaller meal with protein and carbs to fuel the body

Well "packing" a bigger meal for lunch would be hard, I work out of a van,

don't exactly have a fridge or microwave available :o

I'll see how it goes just trying to eat a smaller meal after coming back from the gym.

No, bigger meals are not the way to go about it. Have many smaller meals throughout the day instead. Lower how much you eat per meal and add in a protein bar, protein shake, or some heathy fruit between meals. Ideally you should be able to eat 5 or 6 meals a day. Because you're eating less per meal your body doesn't store the extra calories. For a lot of people the problem isn't junk food but rather huge quantities at every meal. I know, I know, I'm like a lot of other people and want to eat the buffet out of business, but you gotta stop when you're "satisfied" not stuffed.

anyone into lifting weights or other workouts? and what, if any supplements you take. what do you think is good and what is a waste.

I know everyone likes to workout over the winter to shed some pounds or get that beach body.:) If you do post up your goals and your workouts and any tips you have that might help others out. this might help keep some going when they are ready to quit.

Cross Fit work out of the day if you want some ass kicking in your regimen. And walk everywhere you can.

Supplements are a waste of money across the board.

supplements aren't a waste of money for people who truly are serious and are trying to increase calories/protein intake without eating a shit ton. They are easy and convenient for some.

Basically any combination of lifting and cardio will benefit the beginner. Just use proper form and your good to go.

No, bigger meals are not the way to go about it. Have many smaller meals throughout the day instead. Lower how much you eat per meal and add in a protein bar, protein shake, or some heathy fruit between meals. Ideally you should be able to eat 5 or 6 meals a day. Because you're eating less per meal your body doesn't store the extra calories. For a lot of people the problem isn't junk food but rather huge quantities at every meal. I know, I know, I'm like a lot of other people and want to eat the buffet out of business, but you gotta stop when you're "satisfied" not stuffed.

Did not mean to a big ass meal I was saying eat what you would for dinner around lunch time and the just have a small meal or shake after workout.

I no how you need to eat to get lean and add muscle and so on. It's just most people don't have the time and will power to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Ohh, I misunderstood -- I know you weren't a stranger to the gym, I just thought you were an INSANITY n00b, but if you've already done it, you know what you're doing.

No matter what I do, be it P90X, INSANITY, running, lifting.. I'm holding steady around 210-215lb. I did just crank out a 20:44 5k on the treadmill last Friday, that was a PR I felt pretty good about for a guy my size.

• Upvote 1