DIY Halo or Angel Eyes

BornSinner

For people who know me or my bike, I have a lot of LEDS throughout the bike. So you know I would post something up about LEDS or lights. This How To was done on a 03-04 636 and was done by "Minguezcd" from other forum. I know that not everyone ride a 363 but this How To could be used for other types of motorcycles.

There are people on Ebay selling the same rings for around $120.00

These ring dont melt when you run your high beams for a long period of time.

The CCFL rings I also found them in 120mm on the intnet.

Required hardware

- Heat source...heat gun or oven

- 2part glue aka CA clue (available at hobby stores)

- Drill

- Hot glue and gun

- Silicone (like the type used in bathrooms but black)

- switch or relay (depending on how you want to turn it on)

- Black spray paint

- 80mm CCFL ring - http://www.xoxide.com/blucolcat80f.html

- Panal popper/flat head screw driver/

Step 1 - Remove your front fairing (i hope i dont have to go into a detailed how to on this)

Step 2 - Remove your head light. 4 bolts in each corner and dont orget the wiring harnesses

Now that the easy part is done...

Step 3 - Taking apart your head light... Some use the "bake" method..i used a heat gun. Your headlight is 2 pieces held together by hot glue. The back which is black ABS plastic, the the front which the clear lens. Heating up that glue will allow you to pry apart the 2 pieces. I used a panal popper (car install tool) but a flathead will work also. Be careful with the heat...the head light is ABS so too much heat can damage the head light.

Step 4 - Get the fan with CCFL ring and remove the CCFL from the fan. The CCFL ring is surrounded by plastic that allow it to mount to the fan. REMOVE THIS PLASTIC. It will melt in your head light. (I learned the hard way) All you want is the glass CCFL ring and blue transformer from the package.

Step 5 - The wires leading to the CCFL ring are white....This is an extra step...but I painted the wire, and a portion of the ring black spray paint to create a more aggressive look and hide the wires.

Step 6 - Get the 2 part glue. WARNING - if you got the right glue, you have one chance at this! Postion the 1st ring to where the top and bottom of the ring sit at the edge of the chrome headlight insert and centered as best as you can around the bulb (wires on top). Using the glue, put a small dab on the ring and chrome insert. Be careful on to let it drip into the head light. The easiest way to avoid this is to place the headlight assembly on a table with the headlight sitting as it would on the bike. Once that dab is there, spray it with the activator. If your aim is questionable, place a rag over your bulbs is you left them in. Do the same to the top.

Repeat to the 2nd side

Step 7 - You will need to drill a hole in the back of your headlight to run the wires through. The wires should be long enough to mount the transformers (little blue boxes) outside the headlight. I whought about mouting them inside, but was concerned about heat. After the hole is drilled and wire run through, seal it with the silicone. Allow some time for the silicone to dry.

Step 8 - Mounting the transfomers. You have a couple different options, you can cut and extend the wire and mount thetransformers somewhere in the side fairings....but i mounted them behind the headlight.

Step 9 - Putting the headlight back together. This is when a heatgun works better than the over. Reheat the glue on both parts and slowly press back together using the hot glue gun to seal any areas that might need it.

Step 10 - Wiring - I wired mine to my Pager for my alarm using one of the outputs and a relay because i didnt want to mount a switch. I also rewired my headlight so my lowbeams would be hedlight off, and high beams would be low and high both on. For me this worked fine because i ride with my high beam on regardless. When running the power wires, I reccomend using some type or male/female crimps so you can easily disconnect if you should ever need to remove your headlight.

20070524143441-0-6046.jpg

20070524143441-1-7204.jpg

I made some awhile back but decided not to install them. I used the other method and not the CCT.. Whitey, Im sure you know what the other method is.

here was my test unit that I built..

[ATTACH]118[/ATTACH]

I made a set of those too....

But they not that bright, and you run the chance of melting them....