uneasy noise coming from right engine case. Ideas?

magley64

Hey guys, as you probably know I have a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX.

I have a noise that seems to be coming from the right side engine case.

It happens at idle most noticeably. I hesitate to call it a knocking sound, and it's not exatly a chugging sound, but somewthere in between.

It seems to go away when I rev up the engine. It's sort of an intermittent thing. My intial thought is that maybe the cam chain tensioner is worn/noisy, and the cam chain is slacking and tightening. I've replaced the CCT before with the X-11, but that was a couple years ago now...

Anyone have any thoughts about my idea, or any ideas of your own?

thanks.

Cam Chain tensioner. KNown to be crap on CBRs.

CCT ---Known to be crap on (add honda mc here)

--- I'm a Honda guy, but I dont know what it is, but Honda doesnt know how to design a reliable cam chain tensioner. - makes me glad I have gear driven cams on my 5th gen viffer....

-yeah Mags, I would put money on the CCT.

Edited by mello dude

Cam Chain tensioner. KNown to be crap on CBRs.

If it is motor related, doubt you'd hear it in that spot...

How many miles?

she's just shy of 45,000 miles now. had 2<10k seasons and 1<15k season with this bike so far, and it was @ 10 when i bought it.

The only thing that's bugging me about the CCT hypothesis is the noise...

right general area, wrong sound. Last time I did a CCT it sounded like a bag of marbles in the case, this sound more like a

"dit-----dit dit----dit-----dit-----di-dit---dit"

part of me is thinking it could be the cam chain itself is stretched?

she's just shy of 45,000 miles now. had 2<10k seasons and 1<15k season with this bike so far, and it was @ 10 when i bought it.

The only thing that's bugging me about the CCT hypothesis is the noise...

right general area, wrong sound. Last time I did a CCT it sounded like a bag of marbles in the case, this sound more like a

"dit-----dit dit----dit-----dit-----di-dit---dit"

part of me is thinking it could be the cam chain itself is stretched?

That's what I was gonna say too D. I think the CCT sounds like a bag of nuts bangin'/clankin'/grinding around

John on the org is another good one to get the tensioner from. Not sure who Mike is that you're referring to

What Isaac stated. Marbles are totally hosed. Little ticket noises - especially on the down turn of revs is a sign it is wearing out.

$

45k - might want to replace the chain if you can. Kind of a big job, but not bad at all... I'm not positive on the chain, but it is a pretty small amount to pay vs. if it takes a shit...

But, CCT is where it is at and what I would lay a big amount of cash on...

That's what I was gonna say too D. I think the CCT sounds like a bag of nuts bangin'/clankin'/grinding around

John on the org is another good one to get the tensioner from. Not sure who Mike is that you're referring to

mike's the shop up the road, maybe i'll hit john up again, his prices were reasonable last time. I have time to wait for shipping, lol

What Isaac stated. Marbles are totally hosed. Little ticket noises - especially on the down turn of revs is a sign it is wearing out.

$

45k - might want to replace the chain if you can. Kind of a big job, but not bad at all... I'm not positive on the chain, but it is a pretty small amount to pay vs. if it takes a shit...

But, CCT is where it is at and what I would lay a big amount of cash on...

yeah, cct is 2 bolts plus the right side plastics, a 10 minute job if i'm "in the zone", I'll do that first, and if it doesn't go away I guess I'll look into replacing the chain itself and having a valve service done.

thanks again.