To buy or not to buy....

Monstrosity

08 DRZ400SM brand new at the stealership for $4300+tax 1.99 fixed apr through Suzuki and if I put 20% down 0 percent (I think)

I just asked my gf to marry me and we've been house shopping. On top of that my daily driver could use to be replaced. So basically that means possibly another season or more without a bike. Tonight her and I were talking finances and she basically told me if I want the bike to go for it. She felt it was a good deal and as long as it pacifies me for a few seasons she's good with it...

Well guys what should I do? I was told the rebate is done after tomorrow...

08 DRZ400SM brand new at the stealership for $4300+tax 1.99 fixed apr through Suzuki and if I put 20% down 0 percent (I think)

I just asked my gf to marry me and we've been house shopping. On top of that my daily driver could use to be replaced. So basically that means possibly another season or more without a bike. Tonight her and I were talking finances and she basically told me if I want the bike to go for it. She felt it was a good deal and as long as it pacifies me for a few seasons she's good with it...

Well guys what should I do? I was told the rebate is done after tomorrow...

DRZ's are turds.. U will be bored in no time! We don't have good roads around here to get a supermoto. TRUST ME

If you have to finance $5000, you can't afford it.

+1, My opinion has always been that you don't finance a luxury item. That's what this is basically if it is NOT your only/main means of transportation. Trust me, I know how hard it is to NOT have a bike, but judging by what you said, you've got a lot of things going on. Wedding, a new house, a new car.

The last thing you want on your credit is more debt when looking for a house. The mortgage market is VERY strict now. Even a clean, high credit score is not enough. If your Debt to Equity ratio is even remotely off, you'll be denied or you'll pay tens of thousands in higher interest rate on a mortgage. Even a pre-approval is not set in stone. Again, Trust Me on this.

If you don't have $5k to pay in cash, what are you going to do for your down payment on your house? How are you paying for the car. More debt or less equity...

if you MUST have a bike, look for a used one. Plenty of good ones for you to ride around on for under $2k. Do you have all your riding gear as well? Helmet, leather jacket, proper boots, gloves, etc? Cost of maintenance.

Also home maintenance is something everyone forgets. Not sure if this is your first home, but you'll need to drop some Kwon when you first move in. Lawnmower, garden hose, curtains, furniture, blow-up dolls, washer and dryer. $5k easy. Don't forget that eventually your wife will also lose her diamond engagement ring even though you told her to be careful with it as you guys are moving then she'll do something stupid and take it off in a "safe" place and a day later she can't find it but somehow it's your fault and you have to buy her a new and larger one and you can't get insurance to cover it because you didn't rnew your rental insurance or you didn't officially move into your nw home yet so it's not applicable...or so I've been told this could happen :nono:. Then you'll need to budget annually a minimum of 1.5% of the value of the house for regular maintenance items like the unexpected hot water heater, paint, lawncare, roofs, etc.

Not trying to overwhelm you. but getting married is stressful enough, but also adding a new home purchase and being stretched thin is not good.

Every woman wants financial security. It's the biggest cause of divorce. don' get started on the wrong foot. Save up and then pay cash for the bike you really want. Nothing better than looking at your bike knowing you have a free and clean title in hand.

Just my 2 cents and the events of the story above may be hypothetical situations that may or may not have happened to the author

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure EagleDriver will disagree with you. :dunno:

Not sure who that is, but for one, DRZ's are huge turds, and two, supermotos are a blast given the ride environment, but driving an hour or more to get to a decent 15 minute stretch of road on a supermoto is horrid with no fairings , no wind protection, uncomfortable seating position, and only being a 400.. Trust me, it would be a terrible decision.

Have u been on a supermoto for any period of time? Unless they are tracked, at the dragon, or stunted, they blow donky balls.

+1, My opinion has always been that you don't finance a luxury item. That's what this is basically if it is NOT your only/main means of transportation. Trust me, I know how hard it is to NOT have a bike, but judging by what you said, you've got a lot of things going on. Wedding, a new house, a new car.

The last thing you want on your credit is more debt when looking for a house. The mortgage market is VERY strict now. Even a clean, high credit score is not enough. If your Debt to Equity ratio is even remotely off, you'll be denied or you'll pay tens of thousands in higher interest rate on a mortgage. Even a pre-approval is not set in stone. Again, Trust Me on this.

If you don't have $5k to pay in cash, what are you going to do for your down payment on your house? How are you paying for the car. More debt or less equity...

if you MUST have a bike, look for a used one. Plenty of good ones for you to ride around on for under $2k. Do you have all your riding gear as well? Helmet, leather jacket, proper boots, gloves, etc? Cost of maintenance.

Also home maintenance is something everyone forgets. Not sure if this is your first home, but you'll need to drop some Kwon when you first move in. Lawnmower, garden hose, curtains, furniture, blow-up dolls, washer and dryer. $5k easy. Don't forget that eventually your wife will also lose her diamond engagement ring even though you told her to be careful with it as you guys are moving then she'll do something stupid and take it off in a "safe" place and a day later she can't find it but somehow it's your fault and you have to buy her a new and larger one and you can't get insurance to cover it because you didn't rnew your rental insurance or you didn't officially move into your nw home yet so it's not applicable...or so I've been told this could happen :nono:. Then you'll need to budget annually a minimum of 1.5% of the value of the house for regular maintenance items like the unexpected hot water heater, paint, lawncare, roofs, etc.

Not trying to overwhelm you. but getting married is stressful enough, but also adding a new home purchase and being stretched thin is not good.

Every woman wants financial security. It's the biggest cause of divorce. don' get started on the wrong foot. Save up and then pay cash for the bike you really want. Nothing better than looking at your bike knowing you have a free and clean title in hand.

Just my 2 cents and the events of the story above may be hypothetical situations that may or may not have happened to the author

Great Words of advice mojocho! As a former salesman for several suzuki dealerships I can tell you to pay attention the fine print on the loan if you do decide to go that route, suzuki's primary lender is Sheffield- they will promote the low teaser rates like 1.99 then after you fill out the loan papers tell you you didn't qualify for that rate but they can do 4.99. Here's the kicker on most of their loans they have a default rate of 21% that means if you are late or miss a payment your rate goes to 21% for the duration of the loan.Then they hit you with a nice high early buyout fee. Which brings me to another point the loan they are setting you up on is a Revolving credit loan which means it has no certain end such as a fixed loan usually 48 or 60 month. If you make minimum payments on a revolving loan you will burry yourself in negative equity not to mention it would take you like 8 years to pay off. My last point is even if the dealer is selling you the bike at dead cost and giving you the rebate by the time you walk out with tax title,doc fee,freight,prep, warranty all the ad ons they hit you with you will be upsidedown as soon as you drive off the lot. Call around to other dealers tell them you have that bike with only 100 miles on it and you need to sell and see what they offer you for it,that will give you an idea of how much negative balance you will be working with.

I am not trying to sway you either way just tryin to shed some light on how it really happens. Good luck with everything! Hope to see you on two wheels.

hold onto the money until it's closing time. if you still have the cash left over, go for it if you still want it after you realize all the crap you'll have to buy for your new house.

also, unless your woman is asian, bitches can't do math, son. have you learned nothing?

• Upvote 1

Damn you guys... I figured this being a bike forum you would sway me the other way... I can pay it cash no problem and still have money for a down payment on a houset. This year started out on the wrong foot for me. I sold two bikes in spring and then put all my efforts on getting my elbow fixed. Worst year to have done that with the summer we had (yes I feel cheated). I went to the dealership today with cash in pocket, my truck, and tie downs. I passed on the deal. Everything you guys said I thought before picking it up. In a way I sorta wanted to test the soon to be Mrs. She gave me all the green lights, and I think she was supprised I passed on the deal. She now wants me to buy a new daily driver because she's tired of my POS s10 breaking down every other month.

DRZ's are turds.. U will be bored in no time! We don't have good roads around here to get a supermoto. TRUST ME
Not sure who that is, but for one, DRZ's are huge turds, and two, supermotos are a blast given the ride environment, but driving an hour or more to get to a decent 15 minute stretch of road on a supermoto is horrid with no fairings , no wind protection, uncomfortable seating position, and only being a 400.. Trust me, it would be a terrible decision.

Have u been on a supermoto for any period of time? Unless they are tracked, at the dragon, or stunted, they blow donky balls.

I've been riding drz's since 07 and I will strongly disagree.

• Upvote 1

DRZs are turds. Buy a proper motard and go that route. DRZs are cheap, heavy and not suited for performance riding. Anyone who disagrees has never ridden a real motored to have as a comparison.

That being said, financing isn't a bad thing. I usually go with the low rates where they offer 1 year or 6 months low or zero interest. Then, I pay it off. Don't use liquid assets especially if you are buying a new home, etc. Having available cash is a lot of times needed for pop up situations that occur with owning a home. Why take $5k cash from a savings or checking to buy a bike? Sure, you can pay for it, but use that low % rate and allow that $5k of yours to sit in an investment fund that will net a higher % return. Then, once the low % rate expires on the loan, THEN pay it off...

People think you need to have $5k cash to buy something like a bike. Not so - check the rates. If buying used or something that doesn't offer low rates? Sure!

Check out used supermotos. I think if you have $4500-$5k to spend and want a bike, there's a SHIT load better choices. If your heart is solely hooked on a motard, there are MANY, MANY better choices than a DRZ. DRZs are great entry level bikes, but as stated, you'll be bored out of your mind soon after...

Do you say dumb shit all the time or just on here.

Smart choice... Having your own house and being responsible if things brake, yeah, it cost. I know as a guy who wants what he wants when he wants it, it is hard to wait. I'm one of those guys. I have learned over the years of doing that, that it is not worth it but at the time it seems like it. I did that with the last gun I bought. I almost went home with one that was a grreat gun but not the one I really wanted. I said no and waited. Ended up getting the one I wanted for $150 cheaper....