Susan G. Komen Foundation sues smaller charities for using "for a cure"

Casper

That's what trademarks are all about. The second you stop enforcing their use and allow non-licensed people or entities to use them, is the second it start becoming part of the public domain and available to everyone everywhere, regardless of intention.

:nono::nono::nono: Really disappointed in SGK... I've always considered them one of the good guys, but to stifle other charities and fundraisers for using the term "for the cure" is just wrong. I get that they want to make sure that their "brand" is intact, but when did "the cure" start only applying to breast cancer?

That's what trademarks are all about. The second you stop enforcing their use and allow non-licensed people or entities to use them, is the second it start becoming part of the public domain and available to everyone everywhere, regardless of intention.

For a business, I totally understand. For a charity? They should be ENCOURAGING people to start grassroots fundraising for cancer research.

• Upvote 1

A shame yes but some of it does make sense. If everyone uses "Cure" many may think their money is going to Komen and thats not the case.

"but it's still our obligation to make sure that our trademarks are used appropriately so there's no confusion in the marketplace over where people's money is going.""

Supporting shady grassroots charities that spoiling the Komen Bureaucracy of goodness? For shame, Casper.

Those grassroots people could be your neighbors, or local people who actually lost one of their family members to cancer -- wtf do they possibly know about charity and money (they probably don't even have any)?

Trust the organization with guys in suits and lawyers. If they can afford a suit, then you KNOW they know the right thing do with money.

Supporting shady grassroots charities that spoiling the Komen Bureaucracy of goodness? For shame, Casper.

Those grassroots people could be your neighbors, or local people who actually lost one of their family members to cancer -- wtf do they possibly know about charity and money (they probably don't even have any)?

Trust the organization with guys in suits and lawyers. If they can afford a suit, then you KNOW they know the right thing do with money.

I would just like to take this time to mention Ohio Motorcyclists for Children is a 100% volunteer charity. There are no paid positions. Thank you.

I would just like to take this time to mention Ohio Motorcyclists for Children is a 100% volunteer charity. There are no paid positions. Thank you.

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube Ohio Motorcycles for Children will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak."

• 3 weeks later...
For a business, I totally understand. For a charity? They should be ENCOURAGING people to start grassroots fundraising for cancer research.

EXACTLY!! +1,000

They should just start calling it "the Cure for Cash"