dissect a Ipod classic?

buildit

So I got a free Ipod classic (used) and it works very well other than the battery only holding about an hours charge. I wanna replace the battery but I see no reason to spend what it would cost me to get another Ipod to do it. So has anyone ever taken there's apart to attempt this? Is it simply a matter of prying off the bottom and pullin' out the guts? :confused:

Did it work afterwards? :)

there are lots of DIY out there, and should be able to get a ipod battery (just figure out which gen it is) on ebay or whatnot.

i would bet there is an ipod forum that has a nice video of the whole process.

Yeah, but I'd rather hear it from someone here. It great to watch a video on something but in the back of my mind I'm thinking I'll still screw it up. :lol: Might give me a warm fuzzy feeling if I think someone in "real life" has done it successfully.

Think a metal shim would be enough to release the clips? I figure once I get the battery out I can get the model # and find a new one.

Yeah, it will work but I would recommend a plastic one so you don't scratch or bend the aluminum back.

Hmm, I'll have to watch this thread. I have an Ipod classic, like gen 2 I think and my battery lasts under an hour I think. I haven't used it in forever. I had a battery backup on it. Stuck to the back and used 4 AA batteries.

I don't even know where it's at right now.

I replaced the screen on my iPhone. It was cake. I have the nifty little plastic separators if you want to use them. They help keep you from f-ing up the case.

Yeah that thing helps.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ipod+classic+battery+change&aq=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk2d8KPMbMY

Well, it's apart and all I need to do is get the battery (EC003). I'll check batteries plus tomorrow ($16 if I order online) and maybe get it back together by tomorrow evening if their price is right.

You can send the iPod back to Apple for a battery replacement. I guess they don't necessarily send you back the one you sent, so there's a chance that you'll get one in better shape. It's $59, so it won't be as cheap as the other solutions, but if your iPod is in terrible shape it's worth a shot.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#us

To late, got the battery, installed it put things back together and It say's it's charging now. Weird thing was it wouldn't start charging till I connected it to the lab top. So I hope I got it back together right. Oh and the battery was almost double what it was online at Batteries Plus.:rolleyes: I guess you pay for convenience ($30)? :wtf: