Lap Timer?

TRMN8TR

What kind of lap timer is it that most of you use that will work with the beacon at Nelson/Beaverun?

I'm looking to pick one up for the upcoming season so if anyone can suggest a good place to buy as well that would be cool.

the ultra-lap is the way to go. I used to have the XT mini, and it's a fine timer, but little "quirks" would irritate me...

- not enough storage (could fit maybe one day in it. my ultra holds a a season's worth of info)

- no automatic turn on when it passes a beacon. With riding gloves on, it's hard to manipulate the buttons on the mini. It also turns off automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity. Between sitting on hot-pit prior to a session, and then taking it slow to warm the tires on my first lap, there were times the timer would shut off before I ever passed the beacon :( The same happened during red-flags.

Very happy with the Ultra.

Unless working on segments or race prep for a set track, lap timers are a bit of a waste of money. If you want one to see how you are doing, just spend the minimal amount needed. The XT is great for that. Look at Zemke in the 200 - using the trusty ol' XT!

It's simply to use as a segment checking device and to see where you are in terms of where you should be - especially in track day environments.

If racing, same thing... The transponders they require are the most accurate and easiest to read on a sheet. Lap timers are more for dick swinging contests amongst friends.

As for the quirks, I have never experienced any. The storage is more than adequate unless again... You want to store everything for showing off. There's no reason to keep anything anyways. Write the times down in your notes to reference at a later date. I keep mine rolling and if the thing fills, I delete. Then again, I am pretty lazy...

Usually you never need a beacon as there are usually numerous people that have one. Just make sure it is someone that is going to ride all day.

I use my lap timer as a very general yard-stick for my current pace. Having multiple beacons to track splits would be ideal, but at a given track, I know my first couple of laps should be over 1:xx in order to avoid a cold tire crash.

What's funny is tracking your lap times over multiple years. My "B" group best laps are now routinely eclipsed during tire warm-up :p

I also like to be able to see how much time I'm giving up when I can't get around someone. If I know i'm capable of a 1:18 at Nelson Ledges, but I'm not able to pass the rider in front of me who is holding me to 1:20's, there's something wrong with my approach to getting around him or her. The GPS timer would just show me where the other rider is slowing me down.

Hugely helpful, but also pretty expensive...

I use my lap timer as a very general yard-stick for my current pace. Having multiple beacons to track splits would be ideal, but at a given track, I know my first couple of laps should be over 1:xx in order to avoid a cold tire crash.

What's funny is tracking your lap times over multiple years. My "B" group best laps are now routinely eclipsed during tire warm-up :p

I also like to be able to see how much time I'm giving up when I can't get around someone. If I know i'm capable of a 1:18 at Nelson Ledges, but I'm not able to pass the rider in front of me who is holding me to 1:20's, there's something wrong with my approach to getting around him or her. The GPS timer would just show me where the other rider is slowing me down.

Hugely helpful, but also pretty expensive...

Splits are easy. Look down in the segments you are in. At Nelson, look down as you exit the last turn, look down on the exit of 4, look at the exit of the carousel, out of the kink, etc... You should have a time base at each of those segments...

Watching as you are passing is going to hinder you on the track. You need to work on traffic management and not looking at a timer.

My feelings are that only advanced riders or racers should even use lap timers. I think if you are to use one, it should be stored out of sight. Looking at it in the areas you mention are slowing you down and causing you to try and hit a set time.

Ride with the idea that you need to work on things, better yourself and work the traffic. Also to be smooth and learn where you are weak and at what points of the track those are.

Looking at a timer does nothing but force you to take your eyes off what is important and will also possibly push you into something bad.

Hide it, look at it after the session and relive the laps and see what you were doing that slowed you down or made you better...

Hide it, look at it after the session and relive the laps and see what you were doing that slowed you down or made you better...

mine is currently mounted behind my butt on the vertical portion of my superbike tail.

I don't look down as I'm passing someone, or trying to - I just like to be able to see, "ok, it took me 4 laps to get around that one guy... I was turning 1:20's for those 4 laps, but dropped back down to 1;18's after I got by him.

During an actual race, I might consider mounting it some place I can see it (i.e. over the speedometer), but i guess catching the next guy ahead of you is more important than lap times. Positions count for points. Lap times don't.

Ya I enjoy looking at it after a session is over. I borrowed one once at Nelsons and as a new rider it was fun to see my lap times drop from the 1:40's from my first track day to finally breaking into the 1:19's. Also its nice to be able to tell if something I've been working on is making me faster or if it just feels that way. And last, you know we all like doing a little "dick swinging" amongst friends.

Have you been peekin' in my tent at night at the track again?!?!

I told you, I don't go that way and if you want stuff like that to go over to the rainbow tent and find Craig.

Oohhh...there's a rainbow tent!!!!