S Grade Rd, Mt Polomar, CA

ReconRat

S Grade Rd, Mt Polomar, CA

Here's a road I'd like to do. I've done mountain roads, but nothing like this one. This one is about two miles as the crow flies, but maybe 5 miles of road. And the elevation change is 2400 ft to 5400 ft. A grade change of 3000 feet!

It's in the news today, because somebody crashed there. Riding alone. Bad idea. Somebody else crashed in the same spot a few hours later, and when walking back to the road, found the first rider.

Imperial Beach Man Dies in Motorcycle Crash on Palomar Mountain

picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=13481

Palomar can get crowded during prime riding hours, not only with motorcycles, but bicycles as well. Can get a little hairy. That's why there's more than a few crashes.

Funny story. First time I rode Palomar, I was in a loosely strung-out group that included Walt Fulton, who won an AMA national back in his time. Walt's got a few years on me, but I'm not ashamed to say he can still kick my ass on a motorcycle. Since he knows those roads by heart, he offered to let me follow him. He hustled up Palomar and I was riding that technical, strange-to-me road as hard as I could to keep up with him. We get to the top, pull over, and Walt says, "I hope that pace was OK with you. I hope I wasn't holding you up. I don't like to push too hard on the street." And I say, "No Walt," -- pant, pant, wheeze -- "that pace was just fine." :D