Side plate on .38 special

idodishez

Newb to gun disassembly

Have my .38 partially apart to do a thorough cleaning. I'm down to the side plate. Am I going to regret taking that plate off? Special tools needed to do it, or get it back together? c6e4e0b4-92c2-ac03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessary. I wouldn't mess with it.

Originally had some rust on it, from sitting against my side.got the rust cleaned off,but now I'm worried there's some steel wool in the internals

Originally had some rust on it, from sitting against my side.got the rust cleaned off,but now I'm worried there's some steel wool in the internals

Honestly, I've never disassembled to that degree. I've read that there are a few parts that sit somewhat precariously in there, making hard to reassemble. Others on the board may be more knowledgeable.

Honestly, I've never disassembled to that degree. I've read that there are a few parts that sit somewhat precariously in there, making hard to reassemble. Others on the board may be more knowledgeable.

Thats kinda how the local gun shop owner was leaning. Was just hoping someone on here would say "sure, piece of cake":)

Ill probably just get another can of spray cleaner and make sure I spray it thoroughly and blow w compressed air

Most of the flat head screws on firearms require hollow ground screwdrivers. Which means regular screwdrivers tend to tear them up. Get a nice gunsmith tool kit in a box to do this stuff with.

Side plate doesn't have to come off unless something has broken, or somehow dirt or grit or water got in there. Sometimes it's packed with heavy grease. I've only had to open one or two for cause. (Cause it was old and broken and/or messed up.) The side plate is one area where "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If the action is still smooth and the trigger pull is in the correct range, don't bother opening it up. Yes, sometimes hard to reassemble.

The 0000 steel wool is what is used on firearms. Don't ever use steel wool on aluminum.

Edited by ReconRat

Side plate doesn't have to come off unless something has broken, or somehow dirt or grit or water got in there. Sometimes it's packed with heavy grease. I've only had to open one or two for cause.

That's my concern. I was very aggressive with the steel wool, (had to be) so there were was steel wool residue everywhere, including the mechanics. Rinsed it down w gun wash, just not sure it made it's way completely inside.. Prob just get another can but used compressed air this time too

The 0000 steel wool is what is used on firearms. Don't ever use steel wool on aluminum.

That's what I used.

Use a light oil with the 0000 steel wool and rub gently forever. The rust will come off, even if it's a blued finish. Without harming the bluing except for right in the area where the rust was. Dunno about steel wool getting inside.

You can search youtube for detail stripping videos for the J-frame. Basically what you want to do is tap the handle frame on the rh side(hit the same side the sideplate is on but not the plate itself) with a plastic or leather hammer (plastic screwdriver handle will work also). The weight and inertia of the side plate will cause it to pull free of the frame when you do this. You should never pry on the sideplate as it will only damage things.

If its not broke dont do it!

You have it down as far as you need to go. Now if it stops rotating around to the correct cylinder. Then come back and this is where you would need to be. But the saying stands if it is not broke dont try to fix it.

I didn't. Was really worried about all the steel wool that got in there, but I thoroughly sprayed it down and blew compressed air in every crevice. All oiled and back together now. Seems fine

What finally got me to not do it was the pivot pin (?) for the trigger. Did not look like that would be fun putting back in

I didn't. Was really worried about all the steel wool that got in there, but I thoroughly sprayed it down and blew compressed air in every crevice. All oiled and back together now. Seems fine

What finally got me to not do it was the pivot pin (?) for the trigger. Did not look like that would be fun putting back in

You made the right choice.