My AR Build

jarvismb

So, the situation presented itself that I would be able to try my hand at building my first AR-15, and this is the result...

Started with a pile of parts and a dream.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13653

I had to build up the lower, with what started out as an RRA LPK, but since I got hosed by someone who doesn't know how to count parts when repackaging a kit, it became part Stag Arms kit as well.

The first step was getting the magazine and bolt catch releases installed.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13654

Once in, we inserted the PMAG 20rd clip to test and make sure I didn't start out by already dicking things up. It went in, fit snug, and came out like a champ. Just like I like it. (insert Gen3fly joke here)

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13655

Next was the trigger group, where we found out that there was no disconnector spring in my kit. A quick trip to Miami Armory got us a Stag Arms trigger group (I had to buy the whole thing), and I took out the disconnector spring and put it in my group. Everything was fine after that, and we tested the fit and function.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13656

We got the Ergo Grip on, and tested gain.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13657

Now we were ready to get the lower completed, but we realized part 2 of our LPK debacle was unfolding when we didn't have a buffer retainer or buffer retainer spring in the kit. Bastards. We called all over and actually found that Vandalia Tactical had both, and would sell them to me for $1 apiece. Jackpot. We got them in and finished the lower.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13658

Since the upper had already been test fired with the bolt carrier, we just pinned it on and got the scope & bipod on there. The guys that test fired the gun put the YHM floating quad rail on there and the fit and alignment with the A3 upper rail was great, so the scope rings went on without a problem. Here's the ol' girl all ready to go.

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13660

picture.php?albumid=1254&pictureid=13659

Now I just need a nice spring weekend day to go throw some lead, and we'll see how she does. The match-grade SS bull barrel should make some decent groups, so I'm aching to see the results. Just need some dark earth rail panels for the sides and bottom and I'll be all done.

• Upvote 1

Bushell Elite.

Was gonna go Vortex, but this was on sale the day I was going to buy a crossfire. I have another Bushnell and I find their quality to be just fine so far, so until they fail me, I have no reason to doubt it.

IIRC (from my desk at work) it's a 6-24x with an adjustable objective. The intent is to get down to the 250yd range after I get it scoped in @ 100.

The bipod is actually a rather pedestrian UTG pic-rail bipod, so I didn't need a swivel-stud-to-pic-rail mount. I'll use it for now because it fits and it functions, but I may upgrade to different one later. It was a good price and since it's a more basic piece, I actually like the stripped-down look of it. Basic locking and foldable legs. No fanciness needed for now.

How long'd it take you to get'er all together Jarv... Minus the extracurricular fieldtrips for parts you already paid for once?

All depends on if you have all the coin to buy everything at once. I have been piecing mine together since feb. If I wasn't saving for a wedding and a honeymoon I would have been done awhile ago.

All depends on if you have all the coin to buy everything at once. I have been piecing mine together since feb. If I wasn't saving for a wedding and a honeymoon I would have been done awhile ago.

Looks like he had everything there before he started

Besides permit costs, what costs are associated?

A gun, bullets, and a paper target.:lol: Is that what you meant? The spring valley range is outside and takes a permit which is $5 for one visit or $25 for a year permit which I get at Kmart.

I usually shoot indoors, but a group is best done at an outdoor range IMO.

A gun, bullets, and a paper target.:lol: Is that what you meant? The spring valley range is outside and takes a permit which is $5 for one visit or $25 for a year permit which I get at Kmart.

I usually shoot indoors, but a group is best done at an outdoor range IMO.

No. I meant range fees. I just took my ccw, and thats where we went. I asked instructor how much to go and he said it was $25/hr. Seemed kinda high. Tried to call the range, but they're not open till wed. I wonder if he was quoting his feesas a ccw instructor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice build

So you have your upper? What do you have left?

Barrel is five weeks out. Bolt group will be here today. I have the final order from midway sitting on my desktop just waiting to order it when I find the barrel is on the way.

No. I meant range fees. I just took my ccw, and thats where we went. I asked instructor how much to go and he said it was $25/hr. Seemed kinda high. Tried to call the range, but they're not open till wed. I wonder if he was quoting his feesas a ccw instructor

Spring Valley is FREE you just buy the cheap permit.

Vandalia Armory up north dayton is 14/hr and indoors with computerized target setting.

Looks like a 16 inch bull barrel and ill guess its a 1/9 unless he ordered a 8twist or 7 special . I was interested in the twist rate and barrel manufacturer

Wilson Arms match grade barrel blank, custom cut to 1:8. You're dead on about 16" length, but I would expect you to be :bow:

It's an LMT upper and a Surplus Arms lower (since they're made by Aero Precision, but cost less rebranded), and I went high shelf since i have no plans to make this anything other than semi-auto.

Jarvis you should give me your gun. I don't trust you with it. :lol:

We should shoot sometime.

I don't trust you with the 14....

I'm in, let's go already!

Looks like we should head out to Spring Valley or somewhere for a day of shooting.

That's where I sight in, at the 100yd at Spring Valley. I love to shoot my 9mm at the 50yd there to see how steady I am.

How long'd it take you to get'er all together Jarv... Minus the extracurricular fieldtrips for parts you already paid for once?

Minus the trips, since I already studied how to do it, probably only about an hour to get everything together. If you know how it's done and take your time, it's surprisingly easy to put together.

looks like everything went together well other than problems with missing parts in the lpk. When you say you function tested the lower after installing the trigger group what did this involve?

It wasn't very involved, I just pulled the hammer back, made sure the trigger released properly (made sure I caught the hammer, though!), then did things like pull the trigger back and make sure the hammer will catch the disconnector but not release until you reset the trigger and pull again. Then I laid the selector in there and did the same things again to make sure the safety functions were all correct with the fit.

Dayton riders shooting day! :woo:

Can we call it that since Jarvis never rides though?

Suck it.