Scratchey Windshield

Jcarlson

I use the 2oz Novus kit, for faceshields etc. You'd probably need the bigger 8oz kit for something big. It's almost like mil-spec restoring fluids I've used. But it's basically just abrasives and polish. Any coatings on your windscreen will probably be removed. Also probably a moot point at this stage. Automotive headlight kits are similar. Anything beyond that would require one of those aircraft restore kits of fine abrasives. Expensive, and those will take anything out with a lot of hours working on it. If yours is really Lexan, it will take some time. That's tough polycarbonate.

http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0000WUC7E

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035U5ARK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000WUC7E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZNX378NJC5Q7HQ7X9Q7

edit: use microfiber, not paper towels... no scratches.

edit: The novus liquids will not take out deep scratches. For that, use a Micro Mesh kit.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12021/?&utm_source=Google%2BBase&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCenter

Edited by ReconRat

I have a Slipstreamer windshield that's kinda scratched and foggy in spots. Do you think those headlight renewal kits would work on this? It's just clear lexan so why not, right?

Lemme know whatchu think.

Jim

First off, you need to make sure what the shield is made of. Each type of material has certain do's and don'ts, and doing the wrong procedure to, or using the wrong chemical on the wrong type of material can make it worse, maybe unusable. I would go to the website for the type of shield you have and do some checking before assuming anything.

I have ruined shields by not checking myself.

Btw, I think a Slipstream is an acrylic and not a polycarbonite lexan-

"SCRATCH REMOVER

An exclusive non-scratching formulation which effectively cleans acrylic without the usual harsh abrasives. Quickly removes minor scratches and scuffs with very little effort. Use before Cleaner/Polish for cleaning of plastics which have scratches, extra dirt or dull surfaces."This is something Slipstream recommends for their shields. But it also says this after-"DO NOT USE SCRATCH REMOVER ON LEXAN OR POLY CARBONATE PLASTICS. THIS INCLUDES ALL OEM SHIELDS"

http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Misc/misc.html

Edited by ohiomike

I used Scratch-Out on an FJR shield and some older headlights on a car and it worked better than anything else. I tried Yamaha Scratch Remover, Nu-Finish and Meguire's. Scratch-out worked faster and left a perfect finish.

When you do get it right, get some cotton terry cloths and never get a paper towel near your bike.

Scratch remover products that contain alcohol or petrol chemicals, will fog Lexan (polycarbonate) or turn it white. Effectively ruining it. Test a small spot first. Most do not have petrols, I think, since that would be stupid.

I've used the Novus on my clear Lexan helmet shields. No problem so far. Like I said, any coatings on the plastic will sooner or later get removed by abrasives. Only mild polishes with no petrol chemicals, or just mild soap and water, should be used on coated plastics of any type. I think Honda even had a warning on my flyshield that nothing should be used, other than mild soap and water. Because of the coatings, I suppose. I do not think the Honda flyscreen is Lexan, I think it's an acrylic plastic.

But I have restored aircraft Lexan windshields using the correct supplies, so it can be done. Coatings generally will be removed and gone, unless separately restored.

edit: checked the Novus website. for undamaged plastics that have coatings, the #2 and #3 are not recommended. Only the #1 polish because of the coatings. Novus is a Lexan scratch remover. Also works on acrylics, plexiglas and fiberglass.

Edited by ReconRat

Scratch remover products that contain alcohol or petrol chemicals, will fog Lexan (polycarbonate) or turn it white. Effectively ruining it. Test a small spot first. Most do not have petrols, I think, since that would be stupid.

I've used the Novus on my clear Lexan helmet shields. No problem so far. Like I said, any coatings on the plastic will sooner or later get removed by abrasives. Only mild polishes with no petrol chemicals, or just mild soap and water, should be used on coated plastics of any type. I think Honda even had a warning on my flyshield that nothing should be used, other than mild soap and water. Because of the coatings, I suppose. I do not think the Honda flyscreen is Lexan, I think it's an acrylic plastic.

But I have restored aircraft Lexan windshields using the correct supplies, so it can be done. Coatings generally will be removed and gone, unless separately restored.

edit: checked the Novus website. for undamaged plastics that have coatings, the #2 and #3 are not recommended. Only the #1 polish because of the coatings. Novus is a Lexan scratch remover. Also works on acrylics, plexiglas and fiberglass.

Personally I would go by what the manufacturer of the shield says.....but definitely try whichever on an obscure part of the shield beforehand.

I Have a National Cycle shield, and it is a lexan polycarb, coated shield. I have always used Novus 1 on it to clean bugs and road grime off successfully.

I also have some of the #2 & #3 Novus which worked great on some older shields I had with scratches.

Recently I had my bike fall over and the shield actually kept the bike from crashing over all the way by wedging itself up against something standing closeby. But even though the bike itself is unscathed, the shield took some deep scratches across the top edge. I had cut the shield down some time back and had hung onto the top pieces that were cut off. So I tried using the 2 & 3 Novus on those scraps after digging some likewise deep scratches in them. LOL, screwed it up even worse than the scratches did. Completely fogged over, scratches still there. Luckily I can live with the scratches where they are as they are below my line of vision. I cut the shield down so the top is about even with the bottom of my nose like they're supposed to be, heightwise. I'm going to check with NC and see if they will sell me another shield minus all the hardware at some sort of discounted price since they are warranteed for 3 years against breakage even if its caused by your bike falling over. Will they? With my luck, probably not....lol.

Anyway, be careful , hope you can figure it out and get it fixed.