2007 Suzuki GS500 mint condition ($5200 OBO)

Mandova

Bought brand new from State8 early Spring of 2011. Only selling because I want to upgrade to a bigger bike now.

800 miles

New Yoshi pipe

HID headlight kit.

Asking $2,500 OBO

SOLD

Edited by Mandova
pricing adjustment

Take it back to State 8 and see what it's worth on trade-in. Wait until it's crowded.

When they say "$2,000" you need to say loudly and clearly, "$2,000!? But you sold it to me for $5,xxx just over 3 months ago! Are you ripping me off now, or were you ripping me off when you sold it to me?"

I suppose you could give them the chance to play nice first, but I think it's clear that they exploited a first-time buyer.

I didn't purchase this bike....just to make myself clear.

Understand the dealership sells for more than what things are worth. It's a friends bike I am selling. I asked what he wants for it and that was his reply. But I am going to say again..... OBO. It's listed OBO. His wishes.

He's a good fellow, and is just looking at attempting to get back what he put into it.

I'll talk to him and adjust the asking amount. The critique is all good. I explained my opinion on price today.

Edited by Mandova

I didn't purchase this bike....just to make myself clear.

I know the dealership sells for more than what things are worth. It's a friends bike I am selling. I asked what he wants for it and that was his reply. But I am going to say again..... OBO. It's listed OBO. His wishes.

He's a good fellow, and is just looking at attempting to get back what he put into it.

Then you should find the nearest clue-by-four and hit him with it. The man is batshit insane, OBO or no OBO.

MSRP is $4399 for a brand new 2009 (They did not make any `10 or `11s)

The aftermarket stuff is not really going to add value.

So basically $4399 is your upper bounds.

Given that this spring Suzuki had $1000 off of this model from the factory $3400 is starting to get reasonable.

It would probably move for a price under $3000. I am always amazed by some asking prices on some classified ads.

Craig

• Upvote 1

MSRP is $4399 for a brand new 2009 (They did not make any `10 or `11s)

The aftermarket stuff is not really going to add value.

So basically $4399 is your upper bounds.

Given that this spring Suzuki had $1000 off of this model from the factory $3400 is starting to get reasonable.

It would probably move for a price under $3000. I am always amazed by some asking prices on some classified ads.

Craig

The above info is greatly appreciated and I will let him know. He just got into the bike rather quickly and now he wants a CBR600rr, so maybe I can reason him to selling it closer to the suggestion. Thanks again Craig!

The above info is greatly appreciated and I will let him know. He just got into the bike rather quickly and now he wants a CBR600rr, so maybe I can reason him to selling it closer to the suggestion. Thanks again Craig!

Tell him if he wants maximum value out of it he's holding onto it until next March/April. The low end of that curve is fast approaching in late Sept/October, so he better make up his mind what's more important to him.

Understand the dealership sells for more than what things are worth.

This is a pretty unfair statement to make toward State 8 or any other dealer. A bike will sell for whatever a person is willing to pay for it. Do you go to Walmart and tell them their stuff is overpriced? Nope. I don't know the particular situation with your friend and I know that people have been taken advantage of before. That being said, let's be clear about a couple things. MSRP on a new GS500 was $5199 for 2007 and $5495 for 2009. IF he paid full retail, I imagine the total would be in the area of $6k with no money down and no back end products bought. Given he has had it for a 4-5 months, I am guessing that is what has him down to $5200 owed on it. All I see is that a dealer sold a new bike at a new bike price. How is that overpricing? If he paid more than $5200 for the bike itself, I retract my statement.

I agree that "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it," but fair market value for those bikes is in the $3500 range.

Profiting from a sale is one thing, and exploiting a first-time buyer is another.

On the flip-side, I do think consumers should be responsible for educating themselves to avoid being ripped off, but that still doesn't make grossly over-charging someone a good business practice.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a pretty unfair statement to make toward State 8 or any other dealer. A bike will sell for whatever a person is willing to pay for it. Do you go to Walmart and tell them their stuff is overpriced? Nope. I don't know the particular situation with your friend and I know that people have been taken advantage of before. That being said, let's be clear about a couple things. MSRP on a new GS500 was $5199 for 2007 and $5495 for 2009. IF he paid full retail, I imagine the total would be in the area of $6k with no money down and no back end products bought. Given he has had it for a 4-5 months, I am guessing that is what has him down to $5200 owed on it. All I see is that a dealer sold a new bike at a new bike price. How is that overpricing? If he paid more than $5200 for the bike itself, I retract my statement.

Sorry, what GS500 are you referring to? Looking at Suzuki's website the GS500F MSRP is $4399 not $5495.

<a little more research>

Ahhh now I see. The original MSRP for the GS500F was $5499, Suzuki has lowered the MSRP to $4399. So even if you has a new GS500F it is worth atleast $1100 less now than it was in 2009.

Just proves 2 points to me.

1) Motorcycle are not "investments"

2) New vehicles are usually a really bad deal

Craig

People say exploiting a first time buyer, having someone pay sticker price isnt exploiting them.

On the other side, if he went into buy it and they talked him into a 600rr or similar bike people would say they took advantage off him and sold him more bike than he needs as a new rider

FWIW, I was shopping for bikes last fall, and Polaris Motorsports near Solon had new GS500F's for $4,000.

Anyway, I think that buying a bike from a dealer comes with other benefits than "just the bike." You get peace of mind that a bike hasn't been mistreated, a factory warranty, a place to take it to service, and a salesperson who (likely and hopefully) knows more than you do. For a first time buyer, and not a grizzled veteran rider like most of you, that's worth a lot :)

• 5 months later...