Does Coaching/Instructing/Control Riding Really Save any Money?

redkow97

I pitted with my friend Jeff this past Sunday, and he was control riding all day while I was out in Advanced.

Jeff has ridden the last 3 weekends in a row (although normally doesn't do back-to-back weekends), and on this particular day, I would estimate he turned less than 20 laps in Advanced.

He did say he turned a couple 1:05's and a couple 1:03's tracking people down in Intermediate, rather than slowing down and waiting for people to catch him instead, but the simple fact is that he did a LOT more working than playing.

For those of you who coach, is the "free" track time really worth it, or is it totally offset by the cost of additional fuel, tires, and travel?

The more I think about it, the more it starts to look like a complete wash.

I don't coach/instruct/control, but to me the answer would be yes. I have a lot of friends on here and not, that do, and I feel it would totally be worth the track time. You can always pick up something, even running down a class will result in improvements if you do it right.

For one you are looking at it in the wrong aspect. People do not instruct just to get free track time. If that is your plan you need to seriously reevaluated you plan and if I was a director of a program I would not want any instructors that are using the position just for free track time. I have seen multiple people, in various orgs that you can tell they are only out there for that. It is not a good situation for the org or the customers.

Most people that are instructors do it because they enjoy helping other people. They usually have been riding for years and have received a wealth of knowledge from others over that time. They find it enjoyable and beneficial to pass on their experience and knowledge onto new riders. One of the best things about instructing is being able to work with new students and providing them the information and helping with feedback to watch them develop over the day. That is one of the greatest enjoyment is seeing your students improve and make it over their skill sets they are struggling with at that point in time.

If you are looking at it just based on a financial stand point, I guess it all depends on how you schedule yourself. As a instructor/control rider you choose your schedule. Most of the time it is usually events you already plan on being at, so the factor of gas and travel that you are talking about is a wash. Also most orgs allow their instructors to ride in multiple groups (if they want) to get their own time. However it is up to the rider if they want to. So it sounds like it is more a personal choice by your friend than what his options allowed.

For one you are looking at it in the wrong aspect. People do not instruct just to get free track time. If that is your plan you need to seriously reevaluated you plan and if I was a director of a program I would not want any instructors that are using the position just for free track time. I have seen multiple people, in various orgs that you can tell they are only out there for that. It is not a good situation for the org or the customers.

This would explain why I seem to have so much trouble getting a coach for some one on one time on the track. Especially after my last visit. Definitely got the vibe that he would much rather have been out riding by himself. I didn't realize they did it on a volunteer basis.

This would explain why I seem to have so much trouble getting a coach for some one on one time on the track. Especially after my last visit. Definitely got the vibe that he would much rather have been out riding by himself. I didn't realize they did it on a volunteer basis.

Are you speaking up in your riders meeting or classroom session saying that you need one on one help?

First off if someone is there just for free track time they will not last. The people running the show notice and will not be asked back. If you have a problem with someone not wanting to help you please tell the person running the event. The free track time is a perk. I have seen plenty of people come and go through the coaching gig and the ones there for free track time never last more than a year. There are days that I don't make it out to get free time for myself and I'm fine with that as I enjoy helping people. I also still work on things when towing novice students around.

I totally agree with Blue03636

Most of the coaches have been around the track enough times that getting free track time is not the objective. Hell when it gets right down to it I was spending a lot of money and time teaching others. When I had a free moment maybe a rider would ask me a question or want me to follow them around next session. Sometimes I would get ready to go out to have a couple laps of fun and the session would be checkered before I could pull the warmers. At least I was ready for the next novice session lol.

So to answer Redkow97's question Is free track time really worth it? For me it was because I enjoyed people coming up to me at the end and thanking me for helping them out. I love talking to people and I have met a lot of great friends.

The bonus to this is the days like we had this spring when the weather said rain and nobody really showed. If you watched the video "coaches play time at Mid-Ohio" this was a day when I think we had like 5 advance riders. Hell I think that day control riders actually out numbered customers. The best part about that day was the weather was perfect.

Another benefit is it really keeps you in shape turning a lot of laps can really help when doing solo20's :) down side is I would usually burn through 7-10 gallons of gas.

Finally I would like to say I really miss being out there. It was worth all the money I spent in gas tires and everything else I burned through.

• Upvote 1

Are you speaking up in your riders meeting or classroom session saying that you need one on one help?

Yes. And at least one event leader has stepped up to the plate to make it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line has been expressed by guys already, but coaching SHOULD be a thing where you WANT to help others and are good at interacting with others.

I firmly believe that skill needs to be involved, but personal interaction and coaching are things that should top the list even above skill level.

Are there coaches that don't get it? SURE! Hell, look at a lot of videos out there and you will see coaches ignoring customers as they fly by. It frustrates me to no end when I see a group of instructors pass a customer that is in a group that exceeds his/her skills. However, they continue on and never offer any help nor ever are seen going to that rider to discuss.

The hard things to do as an instructor are two fold. One, instruct and assist. Two, pulling someone that should be in a lower group than they signed up for. Safety and fun are two reasons alone. Self evaluation (primarily the basis of most track days) is great, but it also can be an issue. If coaches cannot work one on one with riders and elevate their ability to fit into the group they signed up for, they should move them to the correct group that suits their ability level as well as what will equate to more fun for that rider.

I have watched two of the three instructors on here (Sorry, Nick... I've never seen you instruct, but know you probably are great at working with riders - I just have only witnessed Craig and Jeff) work in their element and can say for sure that both have done exactly what should be expected of coaches. They pull people aside, they watch and report any issues occurring out on track and above all, are personable and easy to approach.

I will also say that asking a customer if they speak up at rider's meeting or approach the staff is the wrong way to look at it. Customers are usually intimidated and may WANT to go and speak up, but may stay silent and keep to themselves. It's a difficult situation to ask for help... The idea should be to watch for those needing help and TRY to reach out and touch every customer to some degree. There's enough coaches that it should be possible... Once you reach out and ask leading questions, you will find that those questions and such will pop up.

I fear at times that there are too many coaches doing it for the wrong reasons. This is evident and should be handled quickly or customers will soon stop coming as they feel it isn't worth doing it if there is no assistance or help available...

Overall, however, I think the coaches that post on here are great folks and have the right mindset. Again, haven't watched Nick, but know him personally and know he is a good rider and the way he has worked with people at the retail level, know he is probably one of the good ones. Craig and Jeff are for sure and both can be of assistance even on here. You can NEVER ask enough questions. No matter how good ANY rider may appear, we can ALL learn something. It is a sport that is ever changing and ever evolving and we as riders no matter is new or veteran, can learn something...