Hocking area tourist advise

conn-e-rot

I'm caging to Athens this weekend with the family and would like to do some exploring around the area. I remember when I was young going to some "castles" and caves in southern Ohio but other than that I don't remember much. Are there any must see places? Anything in West Virgina or Kentucky in that general vicinity worth checking out?

if you have not seen the caves and enjoy hiking it is worth checking out. if you park at ash cave you can hike to ceder falls > rose lake > old mans cave > back to ash cave and it is around 10 miles round trip. If you do not like hiking you can drive to all the locations and it is only a few hundred yards to get to the sight seeing areas. there is also a fire tower along the trail between ash cave and ceder falls that can be accessed off 374. Other than the main caves their is also rock house, conkle's hollow, and cantwell cliffs.

Closer to Athens there is Zaleski state forest which has an old iron furnace, the abandon moonville tunnel, and lake hope. If you mountain bike they have some good trails to the west of the park.

I can't think of any castles anywhere near hocking. The only castle I can even think of remotely close is Loveland Castle but its stupid.

If by chance you find yourself in loveland gimme a shout

What is there down in that area. Clear creek state park. Zeleski state forest. Old mans cave... There is another state park off of 33 between nelsonville and sugar grove, cant remember what it was?

If I still had my house in Hide A Way hills I would let you have the keys for the weekend. Nice and peaceful. Fun especially if you have a boat or jet skis. small beach. all nestled in the woods.

Don't forget Tar Hollow State Park. Not as much to do as the others but also less crowded on weekends.

As for castles, It's not Southern Ohio but Macachee and Piatt Castles are near West Liberty North of Urbana. They are also very close to Ohio Caverns and might be what you remember?

I don't remember where the castles were I just remembered go to them

You may be thinking of Piatt Castle's not too far from Hocking valley.......there's some good riding all around Hocking Hills -- not sure of the asphalt conditions now, but back in '03 they were FRESH paved and awesome tree canopied twisty's -- would've been a blast on a bike had I taken mine :(

Definitely check out Rock House, that was one of my favorites.

Devil's Bathtub was cool to see as well........just go see it all, you'll enjoy something about everything