Being in Shape for the Army Isn't Good Enough?

Looney

Discuss..........

State deems future soldier unfit for football after basic training

By Cameron Smith

In a shocking decision, the Illinois High School Association board of directors has refused to issue a waiver to a high school football player seeking to play in his school's first game who missed the start of preseason training while away on Army basic training in Georgia.

According to the Paxton Record's Cody Westerlund, Paxton-Buckley-Loda star running back and linebacker Eddie Nuss, who is a rising senior at the school, has been forced to miss nearly all of PDL's preseason training because he is still in the midst of Army basic training in Fort Benning, Georgia. He won't return until August 19, which is only one week before the school's football season opener.

That seven day preparatory period falls short of the 12 days of practice that the IHSA requires all student athletes to go through before participating in a varsity football contest. Knowing that Nuss' practice time could be an issue, the family had a lawyer draw up a signed liability waiver that would have cleared the IHSA and all affiliated groups from any responsibility if Nuss was hurt in the season's opening game, but the IHSA board rejected the waiver citing, "concern for the person's well-being."

"There's this overriding safety issue," IHSA executive director Marty Hickman told the Record. "Our sports medicine committee continues to feel that being in shape and being in football shape are two different things. We've had this issue a number of times. It's been brought to the board's attention, and they've consistently said that they're not interested in modifying this policy.

"Maybe something more from the person [could offer further protection for the IHSA]. But really at the end of the day, it's a combination of that and concern for safety that led the board to believe our currently policy should be enforced."

Not surprisingly, Nuss' father thinks both the IHSA's final ruling -- and the reasons behind it -- shouldn't apply to his son, who is in the midst of intense physical training.

"Four days a week, [Eddie Nuss] runs five miles with his gear and pack on," Pat Nuss, Eddie's father, told the Record. "That's an extra 20-30 pounds in 100-plus degrees. He'll be in better shape than any kid on the football field when he's out of basic training."

That day will come soon, though there is little chance for the younger Nuss to compete on the opening weekend barring a dramatic turn of events, or a court injunction against the IHSA. That second option remains a possibility, and is one that the family may take advantage of, though Nuss' father told the Record that he can't afford to pay thousands of dollars in perspective legal fees.

The drive for additional review of the issue has even been pushed by the local state senator for Paxton, Shane Culta, who brought the issue to the IHSA board and expressed frustration with the sense of hypocrisy he drew from board's final decision.

In the meantime, the returning two-way starter -- Nuss was a star running back and linebacker in 2010 for PBL -- will continue training for his military future, a path in which he will continue to follow in his father's footsteps; the elder Nuss was also a high school football player and is now a military veteran.

"I'm disappointed in them," Nuss' father, Pat, said of the IHSA. "It's not like he's on vacation. He's not running around doing something illegal. He's doing something good for the country."

Sure, a marathon runner's going to be in awesome shape but it ain't going to do much good on a football field. OTOH, let him try out and if he makes it, great and if not then he can concentrate on humping miles for uncle sam.

Why is he coming home immediately after basic training instead of getting an assignment?

How old is he, to be enrolled in high school and enlisted in the Army at the same time?

I was wondering the same thing. I was hoping to get that question answered myself.

It is possible to go thru basic training prior to HS graduation.

You can also get a waiver for the minimum age if your parents/guardians sign you into the military.

Once you complete Basic, you go onto inactive status to complete High School.

One of my friends in High School did exactly this, and I met a kid when I was in AIT who did the exact same thing.

Why is he coming home immediately after basic training instead of getting an assignment?

How old is he, to be enrolled in high school and enlisted in the Army at the same time?

Because he's still in high school. Senior, so probably 18.

Football shape is different than basic training shape. Not saying one is in more shape than the other they are just different. Like it said you add equipment and hitting its different than doing pushups and running. I say let him ease into it.

I saw the other day about a kid with Down Syndrome not being able to play on his Senior football team because he turned 19. The town was outraged because they wouldn't let him play. But the rules are the rules. The governing body states that after a student turns 19, they are no longer eligible to play. Yeah, it sucks, the kid has DS, but that doesn't change the fact.

The same applies here, he won't get to practice for the full 12 days, even though the training he is getting is likely 100 times harder than practice. But it is what it is, why do people get so up in arms about the fucking rules. You don't have to agree with 'em, you just have to follow 'em. I do have respect for the family having their attorney draw up a waiver, which totally put the ball in the athletic association's court, but they copped out. Shocker.

If the kid was this incredible at football he should have done his homework and found out the rules prior to signing up for basic. He should have done his due diligence first and been proactive rather than reactive. He gets what he gets. Or in this case, doesn't get.

Ok being a former Marine and football player and playing football while on active service for my base team, they are exactly right. Military shape and football shape are 2 differant things, during football season I could play 4 qrts of football no problem but it hurt my 3 mile run time and vice versa. Coming into football season I don't think I could play a full half without being tired but my 3 mile time was still 19 min.

Football shape is different than basic training shape. Not saying one is in more shape than the other they are just different. Like it said you add equipment and hitting its different than doing pushups and running. I say let him ease into it.

excluding your "equipment" statement, I concur

Ok being a former Marine and football player and playing football while on active service for my base team, they are exactly right. Military shape and football shape are 2 differant things, during football season I could play 4 qrts of football no problem but it hurt my 3 mile run time and vice versa. Coming into football season I don't think I could play a full half without being tired but my 3 mile time was still 19 min.

ain't no such thing as a former Marine...

I agree. I hate to see a soldier being held back like that. But rules are rules, and im sure that one is there for a reason, I.e. for his own well being and safety. And besides the rule, I believe there is something about how a soldier can get in trouble if they get hurt while at home or on leave, could that also apply here if he got hurt while playing since it is not a necessary risk?