EZpass?

IN_NO_OH

I'm not sure how many turnpike riders we have here, but do any of you use EZpass? I've been thinking about getting it for the bike, but I don't want to mount it on the windshield and I don't want one of those awkward things on the bars.

My g/f and I tried with hers in her jacket. It worked sometimes, but at some exits she had to take it out and wave it.

The transmitters are stupid as far as requiring some precise orientation. They really ought to make an m/c model that can be kept in a pocket or in hard boxes.

But it would be *convenient*, especially as I often go east or to Chi. EZpass works in all eastern states-- ours works out to NYC, down to DC, and points in between-- as far as I know, and all the way to Chi. Maybe all the way through Ill.

Go through a couple of toll plazas and the time adds up. G/f and I did an experiment. She went through with the pass, I did the usual wait in line, stand-down, glove off, hand the ticket and change over the to toll woman, then reverse. It was like 15 miles until I caught up to her. Speed advantage of an m/c in traffic is thrown away on toll collection.

Actually dad and I were JUST talking about this. How does this work living in like OH, as only 1 road has tolls anymore. They aren't supposed to still have them as they were to cancel them once the road was done, but well that never happened.

Anyways, I was curious because a few of the races we take our TT to it costs like 20 dollars and carrying a lot of cash is always rough when you live out of a truck and camper for 4 days at a time.

We travel to NY a lot so it would be great to have there as well. Are they state specific, or can they be transferred. Shit I should just do some looking up.

I recently picked one up in PA when I was at Beaver. They have EZPass Go Paks that you can buy right in Giant Eagle grocery stores (and some of their gas stations). It's like $43, but once registered you get the full $35 credit on your account. And you can use it immediately to boot! You'd have to run the numbers yourselves but I figured it out and the PA one is cheaper than the OH one. OH charges you like .75 cents / mo. if you don't use it and like $12 / year annually. Again I'm going off the top of my head on the numbers but anyone can find them. The PA one is a flat $6 / year and that's it...no extra monthly charges if you don't use it for a while.

Now as far as using it on a bike, the easiest way I've found to use it is in my tank bag which has a clear map pocket on top. Throw in there right side up and never had a problem with it.

R1, what are the rules on transfering it from car to car, my parents both have cars that go to NY through PA several times a year and I will be running Beaver next year and I use the OH TP in my truck.

We don't need like 3 different ones because there are never more than one car in a state that has EZ pass.

Thanks!

You can move it from car to car as you please, no problem. For the PA version you actually can register multiple vehicles for the EZPass. So, if you're inclined to you could put all three cars in and go with it. I recently used mine when we drove to Charleston, SC and we took the wife's truck. It wasn't registered on my account but it doesn't matter at all.

How does that work for four/two wheelers on the NY thru way. If I have doubles on I have to go through a manned lane it still takes easy pass, but the have to put six axles in. My pass is set for 5 axles. If you are pulling say a car trailer or utility trailer do you have to take the manned lane on the new York thru way? Pass does not work in texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, or florida those states have their own units.

We JUST got one, so my wife and I read up on it pretty recently.

Each EZ pass is registered as class 1, class 2, etc.. So to pull a trailer through, you are supposed to have a "class 2" EZ pass, and will be charged accordingly.

You're required to register the plates of all the vehicles on a given pass so that if it doesn't register, you're not ticketed. In that regard, you could just register a bike, and then never actually mount the pass at all - they'd just photo your plate, look it up, realize it was registered, and then charge the account. Or you may have to fight it, which could be a PITA.

That will likely piss them off after a while, and it won't work if the pass is being used by another car at the same time (they'll notice).

We travel to NY a lot so it would be great to have there as well. Are they state specific, or can they be transferred. Shit I should just do some looking up.

"EZ PASS" is a brand, and will work in any state that uses EZ PASS, kinda like Visa. PA, NY, NJ, OH, CT, all use EZ Pass. CA uses Fast Track..