Anyone have experience with the Husky SM 510 R?

OhioBob

Yeah, it is "got the look". Now does it meet my schedule, all fun and low garage time? LOL

I am liking the fact that it comes with everything already, tires, brakes, etc. Instead of converting a true dirtbike to sm. But it also, has the capablity to be a weekend track warrior too.

The 610 is about 40 - 50 lbs heavier. So, not sure about that one, but it could be an alternative.

Thanks.

I have an 08 Husqvarna SMR510. I'll get to my impressions/life with/etc in a moment.

I seen a few of your posts, but haven't had the time to type up what I wanted to. Actually, I didn't feel like doing it on my phone.

So, here's a quick run down:

1. "plated" race bikes (ie YZF450/RMZ450/CRF450)

Maintainence - Oil change 3~5 hours, valves every 10~15 hours. Not great for street due to gearbox having tight spacing, tops out around 55~50 comfortably. Will do more, but you are singing that motor.

2. Factory Offered Supermotard "Race" Bikes (ie SMR450/510, Husaberg FS570, KTM's with RFS motor - 450/560)

Maintainence - Oil change every 300~500 miles and valve checks every 1000 miles. High strung, purely fun and one heck of a ride. Livable as a play toy. Great track toy/sporty fun road toy. Ok as a commuter. You can do it, just not as much fun.

3. Factory Offered Supermotard bikes (ie Husky Sm610/630, KTM 690, DRZ400, etc).

Maintainence - Just like a normal Japanese sport bike. 3000 mile oil changes, valve checks are 8000 miles plus. Everyday livable, still a heck of a lot of fun. You can commute, you can tour. They are heavier and they do not make as much ponies per CC's. But you can throw money at them.

4. Converted Dual Sport Bikes (Honda XR650R, Suzi DR650, KTM EXC, Honda CRF450X, Kawi KXF450) are okay, but can cost money to do this. Once you get wheels, lighting equipment, street title, etc, you might at well get a nice used SM all ready set up. If you go the 450 route, make sure you get a "X" or dual sport model. They have most of the ponies of the motorcross counterpart, but come with a wide ratio gearbox and it makes all the difference in the world.

I went with the Husky SMR510, as I wanted a play bike. I've ridden the KTM SMC690 and the Husky SM610. While great bikes, I wanted more. With work and new kiddo, I don't have time to tour all day like I used to. So...give me the ponies.

The Husky is one heck of a ride. It's fast, fun and a blast. Nothing like it. I've done two oil changes (30 minutes dues to two screens, cartridge filter and leaning the bike back and forth to make sure old oil is drained.) I did a valve check and it took 20 minutes and is super simple. Way easier to work on than a KTm 690SMC. The bike will tell you when to change it oils. the shifting gets notchy and it's harder to find neutral. It's been right around 300 miles. Toss in 1.75 liters of AGIP 10W-60 and it's good to go.

The Husky has it quirks (nutserts that spin in the tank - easy fix, 65~85 mile tank range due to a 1.9Gallon tank, slipping fuel pump - easy fix), but it is a blast and I would buy another Husqvarna in a heart beat. The dealers are few and far in between, but there are some really great mail order dealers.

Thanks Wacky, that is exactly what I am looking for too. A fun play toy. Don't have time to tour or anything like that, just want to be a hooligan in the short time I have to ride.

Thanks for the input, it has been a great help.

Shouldn't BMW dealers being offering Huskies these days?

Thanks again.