02 sprint suddenly has tick somewhere...

oldschoolsdime92

My 02 sprint st has 30,202 joyous miles on the clock, and suddenly i noticed there was a tick in the top end! grr. I pulled my stubby exhaust off and put the stock on for a better listen, and heres what it sounds like... it seems to come and go, and doesn't seem to have a pattern of what makes it do so. what are your thoughts, concerns, ideas? Thanks!

http://youtu.be/6PlQaDqL0F8

p.s might I add, i checked the valves at 28k.

The Yamaha FJR1300 is famous for that. Problem has been determined to be valve guides. My '03 never got it but countless have. Does this model of yours have any history of this?

In determining if someones FJR had the 'tick', you would always have to ask yourself if you're just hearing to much into it. Injectors naturally tick and some valve tick can be normal until operating temps come up.

Of all the valves I've checked - car or bike - I only came across two that were on the line, not even out of spec. If you had to compress the tensioner, it may be stuck unless you saw it spring back.

Sounds pretty good in the videos. Is it that random muffled clacking? Seems to be great with revs. Could be gears and chains naturally lashing about at idle.

I have an 06 sprint, it's hard to tell from the vids but one other thing to check on yours is the nuts for the exhaust. I have seen it on my Sprint and also my buddies speed triple that the nuts that hold the exhaust to the heads come loose. It's quick and easy to check once the fairing is off and my save you digging as far in as the cams.

I have an 06 sprint, it's hard to tell from the vids but one other thing to check on yours is the nuts for the exhaust. I have seen it on my Sprint and also my buddies speed triple that the nuts that hold the exhaust to the heads come loose. It's quick and easy to check once the fairing is off and my save you digging as far in as the cams.

im hoping this is the case, as i have read about this as well I am going to pull the fairing off friday and check it all out. I am going to go ahead and recheck the valves and the cam chain while ive got the fairing off, because its only a matter of pulling the valve cover at that point!