Re-sizing messed up brass

imprez55

I'm currently trying to find a good load for 9mm, so I am collecting all the brass when I shoot boxed ammo. When I came back home today after shooting, I was sorting the brass I picked up and found some expanded .380 cases. I picked up a 9mm case and the .380 is perfectly sized to it on the expanded end. I have found 3 with split cases and a handful of spent ones (with an equal number of correct .380 cases). I don't plan on reloading .380 anytime soon, but I just want to know if there is even the possibility of re-sizing them or selling them to someone or should I just throw them in the scrap brass box?

.380 can't really be made into 9mm. It would stretch the case too thin.

You can generally trade them in at anywhere that sells reloading supplies.

Best bet is to trade with someone, for brass that you will be loading.

Discard as scrap anything with cracks or dents. A dent will still load if it doesn't jam in the loading rig, but the dent will raise the internal pressures, making for a bogus and potentially dangerous load that will probably just crack anyway.

edit: not to mention that to stretch the length of brass it has to be worked larger and smaller till it stretches, with numerous heating to anneal and soften the brass while working. A pitb.

Edited by ReconRat

Yeah what recon said. Don't do it. Just be safe and get a reloading manual they are a huge help!

Also be careful. Make sure you take all distractions away until you have some time at the reloaded. Rifle cases aren't as bad but pistol ammo is really easy to double charge and not realize until it so late. When in doubt dump the case and start over.

I love to reload its a way for me do decompress and relax a bit after work.

.380 and the 9mm luger are the same diameter. Most countries have what they call the 9mm luger and the 9mm kurtz or curts. The 9mm kurtz is what we call the .380

Some guys do reload the .380 but its not a popular target load and for such a small round, most guys just buy them for self defense. They are easily confused with the 9mm luger as they are not much shorter. It makes them a pain to sort from your 9mm luger brass. I toss mine in my scrap bucket.

I wasn't asking about necking the .380's up to 9mm. I was wondering if the oversized cases can be safely re-sized back to .380 again, sorry if that was unclear. I think I will just throw them in the scrap brass bin anyway since I don't have an immediate need for them and its only like 10.

I have to wonder why a .380 case is so oversized. Perhaps someone was shooting it in a 9mm (9x19)? If so, I would not trust it at all. Your finding some split suggests the same. Toss it into the scrap bucket.

I have reloaded .380 but I don't recall any brass that was split or significantly oversize.

Ken