Seattle welfare recipient lives in million-dollar home

Jst2fst

scenarios similar to this are probably more common than most people would believe.

It's the "balla" syndrome, most commonly seen with professional athletes.

People get a big break at work, and then start trying to live "the lifestyle." They're making plenty, but spending plenty more too.

Then they get fired, or there's an NBA lockout, or they have a career ending injury, or the bread-winner gets cancer or whatever, and their income is gone.

They end up broke, with a bunch of expensive shit they can no longer afford to make payments on.

So you've got your $3.3 million house - sure you should sell it, but there aren't a ton of people who can afford to buy that expensive of a home, so it's not an easy sell.

The same is true for ultra expensive vehicles, and the like.

Broke with expensive stuff. One of the many reasons I dislike the "finance it now, worry about it later" attitude in this country...

scenarios similar to this are probably more common than most people would believe.

It's the "balla" syndrome, most commonly seen with professional athletes.

People get a big break at work, and then start trying to live "the lifestyle." They're making plenty, but spending plenty more too.

Then they get fired, or there's an NBA lockout, or they have a career ending injury, or the bread-winner gets cancer or whatever, and their income is gone.

They end up broke, with a bunch of expensive shit they can no longer afford to make payments on.

So you've got your $3.3 million house - sure you should sell it, but there aren't a ton of people who can afford to buy that expensive of a home, so it's not an easy sell.

The same is true for ultra expensive vehicles, and the like.

Broke with expensive stuff. One of the many reasons I dislike the "finance it now, worry about it later" attitude in this country...

True but how could no one of done a check up if they used the loophole? I mean some one had to of know about it. How does it make it ok for them to mooch since 2003 till this was found out. I mean yes they could of needed it in the past but it just seems unfair no one noticed. I'd like to see what they are going to do I mean from what it sounds li9ke they listed to current address on their application and got approved.

True but how could no one of done a check up if they used the loophole? I mean some one had to of know about it. How does it make it ok for them to mooch since 2003 till this was found out. I mean yes they could of needed it in the past but it just seems unfair no one noticed. I'd like to see what they are going to do I mean from what it sounds li9ke they listed to current address on their application and got approved.

I don't think this is a "loophole" in the traditional sense. It's just shitty policy.

These people probably ARE broke. They probably have low (if any) income. The fact that they live in a huge-ass house just means that they used to be wealthy enough to get approved for financing.

Extravagance is an easy trap to fall into when times are good.

I don't think this is a "loophole" in the traditional sense. It's just shitty policy.

These people probably ARE broke. They probably have low (if any) income. The fact that they live in a huge-ass house just means that they used to be wealthy enough to get approved for financing.

Extravagance is an easy trap to fall into when times are good.

Good point, I mean yea it suck to sell the house but I'd take a loss and buy a cheaper one till the time was good again I guess.

No, they should have the house up for sale. But there are a lot fewer people buying $1.2 million houses these days.

Shoudl they be forced to take an $800,000 loss? Maybe... Or the law/policy could just have a limit to the amount of total government aid any one family can receive.

No, everyone who is poor is obviously an evil lazy mooch. And by poor I mean people making less than $50k/yr.

Get a REAL job you slackers.

half the country makes less than $50k a year as their household income.

My household is currently well below that threshold (down from more like $80k at our peak), and I don't consider us "poor." We do live in an inexpensive area as far as cost of living, but intelligent decisions make it quite possible to live on $30k a year.

half the country makes less than $50k a year as their household income.

My household is currently well below that threshold (down from more like $80k at our peak), and I don't consider us "poor." We do live in an inexpensive area as far as cost of living, but intelligent decisions make it quite possible to live on $30k a year.

That's kind of my point. There's no sarcasm smiley.

One person's actions, or a trivially small percentage of a group's action does not the stereotype make.

Eg.

Someone sees a white guy in a rasta hat smoking weed; therefore ALL white guys in rasta hats are potheads :nono:

Someone sees a poor person heading into the welfare office in their new car; therefore ALL poor people are gaming the system :nono:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think_p2.html (Fundamental Attribution Error)

Edited by JRMMiii