License plate display laws

YSR_Racer_99

I love the look of my SV's....except the license plate hanging down over the rear tire. On the 650, I fabricated a $1 swingarm mount bracket, but can't do that with the 1k due to having exh pipes on both sides. I know some folks flex them and mount 'em to the inner fender.

I really don't want to give the cops any reason to pull me over just to check me out (like they do with my car b/c of the plates. None on front, smoked cover on rear).

What are my options (besides the obvious of leaving it hanging where it is)?

I made a simple bracket to hold the plate and signals.

About the cleanest setup possible while remaining legal, IMO.

svrally08003.jpg

I like how that looks compared to the tucked in ones. Seen some getting hit by the wheel. That's what I want mine to be still look clean.

I made a simple bracket to hold the plate and signals.

About the cleanest setup possible while remaining legal, IMO.

svrally08003.jpg

that looks good, and is almost identical to how I had my street bike set up, but those rear signals are NOT legal. I think they'd be close enough that you're probably not going to get hassled over it, but I'd be shocked if those lights were DOT approved. They're going to be lower wattage, and will be less bright, and blink faster (which is what might tip off cops)

that looks good, and is almost identical to how I had my street bike set up, but those rear signals are NOT legal. I think they'd be close enough that you're probably not going to get hassled over it, but I'd be shocked if those lights were DOT approved. They're going to be lower wattage, and will be less bright, and blink faster (which is what might tip off cops)

Easy there, they weren't LED so they didn't blink faster and the fact that they had reflectors behind the bulbs meant they were brighter than the OEM Suzi ones.

No need for DOT approval on turn sigs in Ohio.

If they're actually brighter, then you're probably fine, but mine were shitty. I think they'd violate ORC 4513.261(B)

“Directional signals” means an electrical or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and rear.

if you have an integrated brake light and turn signal, I would also argue that the closer to move the signals to the center of the bike, the less clear it is which direction you intend to turn.

I just use hand signals, then again my bike is old enough to not need them in some states. Ohio isn't one of those, but i've never been hassled here. Only time I've been hassled was in indiana, where i don't need them legally, go figure.

An old rusty slow bike pretty much flies under most cops radar.

I'm gonna apply for a vanity plate, and get a copy of it tattoo'ed on my back. Sure, it'll LOOK like a tramp stamp, but it won't be. Cuz it'll be something different. And official.

Then, when I have to go get my official government-issued National Identification System barcode tattoo, they can put it right next to this one.

See? I'm a thinker...

Or, just wait and combine the two:

tag7.JPG

tag7.JPG&w=576&h=332&ei=_BYGT_K_A8f40gGj55jRAg&zoom=1

Edited by YSR_Racer_99