So how's Ron Paul doing?

Casper

pretty much a three way tie. But, santorum has no chance. he just cherry picked the we-want-to-make-everyone-be-like-us evangelicals. he and romney both remind me of cheesy used car salesmen.

A 3800 vote difference in a race with the top two separated by 8 votes is pretty significant. Not "ZOMGRONPAUL got his ass kicked!" significant, but it sends a bit of a message.

As for the last bit, when you're right, you're right. Santorum just shamelessly pandered to the evangelicals who lapped it all up, and Romney did his usual robotic thing.

A 3800 vote difference in a race with the top two separated by 8 votes is pretty significant. Not "ZOMGRONPAUL got his ass kicked!" significant, but it sends a bit of a message.

As for the last bit, when you're right, you're right. Santorum just shamelessly pandered to the evangelicals who lapped it all up, and Romney did his usual robotic thing.

each candidate has had their surge, but RP support has been consistently on the rise. santorum just got his surge at the right time.

i think the message is that people are tired of politics as usual and are starting to pay attention to RP as a constitutional conservative/libertarian, understanding his POV and finding themselves agreeing with it even though it takes some real research to get to his message. this, due to the fact that neither 'side' wants him there and tries to make him look like a kook. these neocons are just catching on to the stronger points of his message and trying to capitalize on it, then sticking to the popular, yet idiotic, 'bomb everybody' mentality and calling him an isolationist. it really is lunacy.

so, i see it as a very successful night for RP especially since he has no major financial backing (sorry no citation on that) and super incompetent media coverage. i think 8 yrs of RP would be the best thing that could happen to this country.

I thought that was just the default knee-jerk reaction for any change in the White House?
:nono:
McCain only had 13% of the vote in Iowa and won the nomination... Just saying, anything can happen. The message I heard last night was that if he runs as an independent or Libertarian, he'll probably have just as much change at winning. Nearly 50% of the undecided or independent voters voted for Paul last night. That's freaking massive, and the country is more undecided now than ever. Everyone is sick of the two party system.
Yup, and that scares me more than most anything else. Have you actually read some of the things Santorum believes and says?? Wow.
so, i see it as a very successful night for RP especially since he has no major financial backing (sorry no citation on that) and super incompetent media coverage. i think 8 yrs of RP would be the best thing that could happen to this country.
Yup.

McCain only had 13% of the vote in Iowa and won the nomination... Just saying, anything can happen. The message I heard last night was that if he runs as an independent or Libertarian, he'll probably have just as much change at winning. Nearly 50% of the undecided or independent voters voted for Paul last night. That's freaking massive, and the country is more undecided now than ever. Everyone is sick of the two party system.

Yup, and that scares me more than most anything else. Have you actually read some of the things Santorum believes and says?? Wow.

Everyone's sick of the two-party system but no one's doing anything to get around it. It Paul was really that hardcore for Conservative change, he'd break off and go it alone. He won't, because he won't have access to the debates, the media, the fundraising machines, none of that.

I've read with great interest the things that Santorum froths, and I don't see it being any different than the majority of the "social conservatives" I've come across. He's a theocrat, plain and simple.

I've read with great interest the things that Santorum froths, and I don't see it being any different than the majority of the "social conservatives" I've come across. He's a theocrat, plain and simple.

froths = :lol:

Seriously though, his views on abortion (wants it to be completely illegal even for rape, violence, birth defects, etc) and gays/gay marriage (compares to bigamy, polygamy, incest) alone make me question how the hell he got so far last night. I'm guessing people simply voted for the person the news reported was surging without actually investigating his views at all. This guy is scary.

Seriously though, his views on abortion (wants it to be completely illegal even for rape, violence, birth defects, etc) and gays/gay marriage (compares to bigamy, polygamy, incest) alone make me question how the hell he got so far last night. I'm guessing people simply voted for the person the news reported was surging without actually investigating his views at all. This guy is scary.

Quite the opposite, I think the evangelical people of iowa want a theocrat. They know exactly where santorum is, and exactly what he stands for.... The republican population at large tends to be quite a bit more moderate regarding social issues, so I believe he's done as well as he can do.

frothy an all

What makes his views all the more head-scratching is the fact that his wife HAD an abortion. Afterwards he embarked on a campaign to outlaw the procedure that his wife JUST had done.

The platform of "I got mine! Fuck you!". Sadly, that seems to be bipartisan.

What makes his views all the more head-scratching is the fact that his wife HAD an abortion. Afterwards he embarked on a campaign to outlaw the procedure that his wife JUST had done.

The platform of "I got mine! Fuck you!". Sadly, that seems to be bipartisan.

well, thats why i like RP so much. he's consistent, a straight shooter, he follows 'the rules' and he doesnt pull any punches. i'm not nominating him for sainthood, but show me anyone else with even a shred of the same integrity, ya know?