Greatest $20 I've ever spent - Princeton Tec Byte Headlamp

Casper

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=byte

pDSP1-10160851dt.jpg

I know there are much better ones out there that are brighter, project further, etc. However, I what I need is a headlamp that weighs very little, lasts a long time, preferably runs on batteries instead of rechargeable battery back, was cheap, and could take being tossed around in a tank bag or backpack. I break things easily, so I didn't want to be out $80 if/when I break this thing. My main uses for this headlamp are for around the campsite at night (cooking, finding firewood, etc) and repairs on the side of the road if needed. For $20, this little guy rocks. It only weighs 64 grams and will last up to 146hrs on two AAA batteries. For my use, I should get an easy 80hrs out of one set of batteries. It has three settings, red, dim and bright, which you switch through by clicking one button on the top. The red and dim are great for reading. The bright is pretty bright for being only 35 lumens. The whole unit rotates up and down. Whether for keeping on your bike, to use camping, or even to toss in a BOB, $20 is cheap for this little guy.

I have these 2. Ive had the top one for about 10 years and use it regularly.

Petzl Tikka Plus

petzl%20tikka.jpg

Petzl Tactikka Plus - I use this one with the red filter for other things such as getting in/out of the woods for hunting, reading charts at night to help prevent night blindness, etc.

e49_p-3_1.jpg

e49_p-2_1.jpg

Edited by flounder

I've had a couple Petzl's but found them lacking. Awful expensive for no brighter than they are.

I have this Remington (Rayovac) one now:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/remington-rmhl4aa-b.html

It's $40, but is WAAAY fucking brighter than most in its price range (a true 150 lumens). That's a good thing if you have to work on something at night. It has a diffuser which is handy if you don't need the throw of a flashlight.

Takes 4AA's on a pack that sits on the back of the strap. Not the smallest headlamp out there, but not bad to wear or pack. Lifetime warranty, too...for the breakers of things.

I looked at the Petzl Tactikka Plus side by side with the Princeton Tec Byte last night:

Weight: 78g vs 64g

Runtime: 150hrs vs 146hrs

Battery: 3AAA vs 2AAA

Lumens: 35 vs 35

Price: $45 vs $20

Where cheap and light weight were my top priorities, the Princeton Tec Byte won for me.

Really! Ive never heard anything bad about the Petzl. The new ones are ridiculously bright and reliable as hell.

Well, you're hearing it now. They're not that bright for the cost. 50-60 lumens isn't great. Some of their high-end ones like the Ultra are very bright, but insanely expensive.

The only one close in performance to the one I linked to cost twice as much...nearly $85 and the life at 150lumens on that model is short because it's running in a "boost" mode on less battery power. Normal operation it's back down in the 60 range. Mine is bulkier, but that's the only thing I'll say in Petzl's favor is they're small and built well.

Different strokes, expectations, and all that but I think they cost too much for the performance.

I looked at the Petzl Tactikka Plus side by side with the Princeton Tec Byte last night:

Weight: 78g vs 64g

Runtime: 150hrs vs 146hrs

Battery: 3AAA vs 2AAA

Lumens: 35 vs 35

Price: $45 vs $20

Where cheap and light weight were my top priorities, the Princeton Tec Byte won for me.

I'd be interested in comparing them side by side once you get it. I think you'll be surprised but who knows.

I'd be interested in comparing them side by side once you get it. I think you'll be surprised but who knows.

I already have it. Bought it last night. I literally compared them side by side, not over the interwebs. Whenever you want. I still have that box of misc computer crap you wanted. Come buy and have a beer.