Swingarm fabrication

Nuts&Volts

Hey, has anyone developed/built their own swingarm before? I am looking to design a CrMoly tube swingarm with a direct linkage shock like the new ninjas or ducatis. There would also be a split axle pivot point in order to mount an electric motor between the pivot axis. My team is able to do the CAD design and supply the material, but I was looking for some more expertise/experience on the matter.

Similiar in design to this, but tube. Maybe even the same motor..

TTZero_Ecotricity_Ion_Horse%20%284%29.jpg?maxWidth=1000&maxHeight=800

Simple Tube swingarm example. Two horizontal tubes and two angled ones, with a few added cross braces.

a926_35.JPG

Interested in hearing all opinions about how difficult it would be to design and build a tube swingarm and the complexity of setting up the rear suspension???

Thanks

Haha yes I believe our best bet may be to just design something and FEA it. Need to learn a few more things in CAD about welds and stuff to get the model right. My biggest concern is knowing exactly what loads to apply to it, but I have a feeling just sitting down and doing some FBDs and some math will give me a general idea of the loads to test it at.