wheel chock spacing?

YSR_Racer_99

For full size bikes. I have a couple of options on where to mount the chocks on a 6' wide, 16' long trailer. Considering two side by side facing forward, two facing sideways in the same direction, and two sideways, facing opposite directions (this seems like it would be the most compact/ efficient).

From prior experience, seems that a 4' wide trailer is almost too narrow for two large bikes side by side. 5' is about right. 6' is overkill. Based on this, seems that an allowance of 2.5' per bike is about right. lll

Seems like no matter how I mount them, I'm dealing with about a 6'x6' area. Might save a foot (i.e. 6' wide, 5' deep) by going with the opposite-facing option.

Using popchocks, BTW.

Thoughts?

I have mine 2 side by side with a gap in the middle to walk through. A sportbike will use up 6.5' in length, that's why you never see the gate of a ranger/s-10 closed that are only 6'.

It will close if you put the bike at an angle, got my Daytona in my dads 6 ft bed ranger.

If its got a wood floor, you could use wood screws and move them as warranted.

I think thats what I'll do. I've got two chocks, but three sets of mounts, so gonna mount one set of mounts facing forward, and one facing sideways, and will mount the third wherever I need it for that trip, either sideways or forward. Or maybe just buy a fourth mount set and place mounts for both options.

Mountain out of a molehill.

(Holy crap, $50 for a set of just the mounts??? You kidding me? Screw that).

RC: You gonna show at Porky's tomorrow? Won't even need to ride your bike, can just walk...

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

With traditional chocks, the issue really becomes having tie-down points that are far enough off to the sides.

A bike itself is no more than 2 feet wide, so 3 across is possible of you can find places to secure them all.

I would do 2 rows of 3, but with the center bikes slightly further back. Then angle the outside 2 toward the center as much as possible.

Wish I could draw it instead of describing it, but the idea is to have the bars of the middle bikes over the tank or seat of the outside bikes.

I think thats what I was trying to sort out. Thank you. I picture what you're saying.

Settling on tie down points being 3' apart.

The 1' I might save by making the tie down points 2.5' apart (x2 bikes) isn't worth the wobble and instability factor.

Thanks again. BTW, found some mount kits for only $25 on ebay, and Riders Discount has some there for about $36 (second best deal).

With traditional chocks, the issue really becomes having tie-down points that are far enough off to the sides.

A bike itself is no more than 2 feet wide, so 3 across is possible of you can find places to secure them all.

I would do 2 rows of 3, but with the center bikes slightly further back. Then angle the outside 2 toward the center as much as possible.

Wish I could draw it instead of describing it, but the idea is to have the bars of the middle bikes over the tank or seat of the outside bikes.