Gsxr tre

JLentz91

Im having trouble finding a TRE for my 2011 gsxr1000, I want to keep my stock gear indicator.

My problem is that I found out some tres are not TRUE tres and one brand I recall is bazzaz people were saying arent true tres.

Anybody with insight on this Id appreciate your help.

You can go to Ivan's and get a "smart" tre. There are three(?) main types, but to retain stock gear indicator functionality you will need a microchip and multiple plug in's. The easiest way is to use a couple resistors yourself and make the bike think its in always in 5th (i.e. 5-5-5-5-5-5-5)

-edit-

I realize what I said might not be clear so here is a more in depth version. The first type is just one resistor and the bike then thinks its always in 5th gear (5-5-5-5-5-5-5 versus 1-n-2-3-4-5-6). The tre's labeled "smart" retain neutral for better idle and cold weather start up (5-n-5-5-5-5-5 versus 1-n-2-3-4-5-6). In both cases you lose gear indicator functionality because the whole point is to make it seem like it is in 5th without the timing retarded. To retain stock gear indicator functionality you need a separate plug in to go inline and fake the signal from the ECU. The new microchip will make the gear indicator act normal even though the ecu is sending 5th gear signals to it all the time. This type still essentially only uses a resistor to trick the ecu into thinking its in 5th all the time (except neutral). How important ($$) is that gear indicator to you? You could spend <$1 and have a working tre without gear indicator (even retaining cold weather starting with a switch like this) or you can spend >$100 to keep it.

Edited by imprez55

I'm sure you probably already know this, but check out GDC's website as you'll more than likely find the answer your looking for.

Not that someone here couldn't answer it but you'd be quicker to get an answer with a site dedicated to gixxers.

I thought of that but from previous experience reading other people's posts once they find out its for a streetbike and not a trackbike their response turns to "o well it's already fast enough for the street" lol

You can go to Ivan's and get a "smart" tre. There are three(?) main types, but to retain stock gear indicator functionality you will need a microchip and multiple plug in's. The easiest way is to use a couple resistors yourself and make the bike think its in always in 5th (i.e. 5-5-5-5-5-5-5)

-edit-

I realize what I said might not be clear so here is a more in depth version. The first type is just one resistor and the bike then thinks its always in 5th gear (5-5-5-5-5-5-5 versus 1-n-2-3-4-5-6). The tre's labeled "smart" retain neutral for better idle and cold weather start up (5-n-5-5-5-5-5 versus 1-n-2-3-4-5-6). In both cases you lose gear indicator functionality because the whole point is to make it seem like it is in 5th without the timing retarded. To retain stock gear indicator functionality you need a separate plug in to go inline and fake the signal from the ECU. The new microchip will make the gear indicator act normal even though the ecu is sending 5th gear signals to it all the time. This type still essentially only uses a resistor to trick the ecu into thinking its in 5th all the time (except neutral). How important ($$) is that gear indicator to you? You could spend <$1 and have a working tre without gear indicator (even retaining cold weather starting with a switch like this) or you can spend >$100 to keep it.

Right I understand how they work just im not experienced in wiring I've only installed my hids (!!!) lol just checking what tres other people use, I dont necessarily need my gear indicator it's just nice to have it there, so I figured for a little extra money why not keep it.