mechanic advice

thegoat65

I have a 2001 ultra classic with 94k miles. Doesn't run bad but after i had it worked on last time i had the bottom end inspected and it seems when the 1550 kit was put on they only changed the outer chain tension-er. Now one looks new and the inner looks half gone. I was thinking on having a gear drive installed and due away with the chains.Should i do this with this many miles on the motor? 94k on bottom end about 35k on top end now.Because it has been running badly and i tuned it up and it helped a lot but seems to still run a little off. Anyone got any advise? or know a good mechanic? :bow:

Anyone got any advise?

1:stuff a rag in the tank

2:light rag on fire

3:run away

4:????

5: Profit

seems to still run a little off.

That's how harleys are supposed to run: sput, sput, sput, pow, pow, sput, sput, sput, sput, pow, sput, pow, pow, pow, sput, pow

Edited by magley64

94k on the bottom end? im surprised a main bearing hasnt let go yet.

chain tensioner shouldnt be terribly expensive, but id have a blowby, leakdown test done..

see where the motor is at, may be time for a refresh, or do yourself a favor and find a low mileage newer 96" or 110" harley motor to throw in it

people swear by the gear drives, but i didnt have issues with the stock chain drive setup on my 07 Street Glide, and i dont think i would have ever changed it if i kept it.

the thing that kept me worrying the most was cam bearings, main bearings, primary inner bearings, transmission lol.. list goes on.

like i said your probably do for a refresh or just throw in a newer, low mileage motor

If you love it, fix it.

My brother has used Chopper Bobs in Newark. Solid work, good prices.

Plus there is a bar next door called "Jugz". That's reason enough for me to check it out. :D

Chopper Bobs.

(740) 281-0220

426 W Main St

Newark, OH 43055

Official Harley rebuild in a crate is about 3200-3600. (plus remove and replace)

I think I'd be proud if my engine went nearly 100,000 miles.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Engines/remanufacturing.html

Edited by ReconRat