Racing a 250?

i-Zapp

We are no where near ready, but it would be nice to have a plan... All these track days are ultimately practice, for racing right. So, late this year I might consider letting the kid (16) loose. What class? What org? The bike is a ninja 250.

WERA has 250 racing as well, but I've never seen great attendance in this part of the country. I think they get a bigger crowd in the southeast though.

Regardless, Moto Series is definitely close, cheap, and fun; and there is a good "everything you need to know about racing a 250" thread on the WERA board that should be easy to find with minimal searching. That will cover suspension settings, tire options, and even tuning advice.

Personally, I think the point of racing a 250 is to go racing for cheap, and as such, all the bikes should be run basically bone stock. Oil catch, number plate, and maybe brake pads and lines. But that's just me.

I-Zapp can finally post here. Guess someone got you sorted out.

Only from a Mac. My work and home windows machines won't let me log in. (??)

Thanks for the racing info. Will def give motoseries a look. However we're not opposed to venues that might require some travel.

Well shit-can the whole idea then. Todd is an unreasonable asshole!

...wait, the exact opposite of that. I wouldn't be surprised if a young rider on a 250 got 1-on-1 instruction. Get the kids up to speed early, so they stick around to be charged full price :-P

Any chance we will be seeing your boy on the track anytime soon?

Not sure... He was all about putting motard wheels on the dirt bike, but now, after we cut a small track in the woods, he is wanting to stick with dirt. Possibly flat track, but not sure. He was on my ass about a 125 GP style bike and we might consider, but only with some experience at CRP or similar...

from Todd on link above

We are excited to see new young faces join our track day and racing program.

To help get youngsters started out right, we will be offering the Moto Junior Discount Program.

Anyone age 17 or under can be eligible for half pricing on nearly all our events.

In order to get your child this pricing, you must contact me and we will set up an account to get them started.

that's freeking awesome! my next message is to Todd, thanks for the hookup.:cheers:

Not sure... He was all about putting motard wheels on the dirt bike, but now, after we cut a small track in the woods, he is wanting to stick with dirt. Possibly flat track, but not sure. He was on my ass about a 125 GP style bike and we might consider, but only with some experience at CRP or similar...

my son raced quads since he was 6, then switched to dirt bikes at 14. we quickly realized we were waaaay behind on the learning curve. after trying supermoto, he was hooked. problem is there's really no racing. i found a '12 ninja for dirt cheap which although pretty anemic is perfect for getting this big track thing figured out.

btw, his crf150r sumo setup will be for sale after memorial day weekend.

and on a further side note, i'm all about growing this 250 racing thing. if anyone wants to run some laps on our bike at a trackday we happen to be at, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

from last weekend at the Beav. Great time, and the kid was having a ball and actually managed a 1:17.5 with that poor little bike screaming around the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6nHn5xcbI

couple more track days, then maybe race school.

Edited by i-Zapp