Help with pricing....

ohiomike

A buddy of mine has an old 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro. The good-It runs. It was rebuilt years back and has just a few hundred miles on the build. They bored it but nothing else special. New front tire, new oil pump.

The bad-Quite rusty. Seems to be just surfacr type rust, no welds are compromised. It sat in his leanto since it was rebuilt, maybe 20 years back. Rear tire is weather checked and needs replacing. Tank is dented in several places but is solid. At some time, back when, the tank was cleaned and in the inside was coated to prevent rusting, and its still good to go. No tach. The clutch was sticking but we got it freed up and now it works fine. Seems the plates had become stuck together from sitting so long.

Original seat with no tears. Still, its probably hardened up by now. Electrics all work, cables work, its rideable. I'm lookin for something I can take out trail riding, nothing more than to get out. My racing days are over, and I figure with the geography of Ohio I'll get enough of the old 'hill climbing' type of riding just staying on the trails....lol.

I have been looking for over a year now and see prices for them all over the place. Lots over $2k, but they are beautiful bikes, nearly in 'like new' condition. The those 'non runners' are under $1k, $500-$800 mostly. Finding parts isn't easy, but they are out there, spread out across the country. This guy is someone I would trust with my life so his word on everything is solid. But he is playing this game of making me make an initial offer. :rolleyes:

Opinions on a fair price?

thanks

$500 as a start? :dunno:

You don't want to offend your friend, but I doubt a lowball/reasonable offer would kill a friendship.

If you've "been looking for a year", has this been pseudo up for sale for a year? Price has to come down, doesn't it?

Rusty, dented tank, no tach, needs a tire, almost 40 years old = not worth lots imho.

A collector would pay more, but not sure there's a huge collector market.

Maybe the two of you could restore it together and you get to ride it whenever you want?

$500 as a start? :dunno:

You don't want to offend your friend, but I doubt a lowball/reasonable offer would kill a friendship.

If you've "been looking for a year", has this been pseudo up for sale for a year? Price has to come down, doesn't it?

Rusty, dented tank, no tach, needs a tire, almost 40 years old = not worth lots imho.

A collector would pay more, but not sure there's a huge collector market.

Maybe the two of you could restore it together and you get to ride it whenever you want?

He's not interested in the bike. Doesn't want to ride. Back several months ago I mentioned to him I was looking for one and he told me about his bike in the leanto. Based on what I have seen, there is probably very little collector action for these bikes.....unless they are in cherry shape. Plus, he is back in Michigan so 'sharing' is a problem....lol. I was thinking of a price somewhere around $500 to start with, but have been out of the off road riding for a long time and wanted some opinions from people more in tune with the current stuff. I was thinking $800 was about as far as I should go with it but do not want to piss off my best friend either.

Another thought I had was oil. We used to use ?Castrol? bean oil but that was before all the synthetics and semi synthetics. I want to make sure I can get the proper oil for it now. What is used now for 2 strokes and think it should be ok for this old rebuilt motor?