Land Rovers

tolli

the wife and I had our first child about three weeks ago and now I need a bigger automobile. I am considering a 03' Range Rover with only 45k miles that has been dealer serviced. Does anyone on the board have experience with LRs?

the wife and I had our first child about three weeks ago and now I need a bigger automobile. I am considering a 03' Range Rover with only 45k miles that has been dealer serviced. Does anyone on the board have experience with LRs?

Congrats on the kid, don't buy a Land Rover. I've known a few people to have them, including family, and all of them have had problems.

my girl's dad used to have a land rover. he bought it with around 25k miles and had tons of problems with it...he dumped it after 2 years and it had less than 40k at that point.

be prepared to pay plenty of $$$ for labor/parts if you do have problems. good luck suv hunting!

Ditch the LR's, pieces of crap for the most part..step-father used to work at MAG and they had a LR dealer right next door. said they always had problems, even with the fairly new ones.

I'm half tempted to get a Jeep too. But they (well i want a wrangler) seem overpriced kinda. hold their value like crazy!

I like my Jeep. It gets decent gas mileage for being an SUV (17-18ish mpg). Very comfortable. Will go anywhere. Handles excellent in the snow.

i own a '00 wrangler and I love it! by far the most dependable truck I've ever owned. Not long after buying it I removed the back seat and installed a half top so I could haul my mtn. bike, kayak, snowboard, etc. Now I need something with enough room for me and wife, the kid, the kid's stuff and a couple of dogs. The wife wants something more 'refined' and I think the RR's aesthetics are second to none.

I've read that LRs are maintenance nightmares, but after a couple of test drives, i'm smitten by its looks and ride quality. (the air suspension is niiice)

I know a Toyota would be the best buy, but I think they look so "blah". If I had my way, I'd replace the Wrangler with a Defender 90.

DONT EVER GET A LR! I had 1 for 4 months and went through $1000 in parts and was a pain! I also have had allot of jeeps and they are really reliable! I have had 4 jeeps now and only have had to put$ in mods lol. The range rover cost way too much anyway! You could prob get 2 Jeeps for the same price!

youll be "smitten" with repair costs if you go ahead and follow your nose with the range rover from what it sounds like here.

i dont really buy into that "buy american" stuff. i usually just buy reliable. i would look through consumer reports though. ive heard toyota has some QA problems with their larger truck-ish automobiles. dont know any specifics.

Well I don't know if the people that owned land rover's on here bought used ones but I had one 4 years back and absolutely LOVED it!!! I never had one single issue with it but of course I bought it brand new. I don't know if things have changed but you only have to get it serviced every 12000 miles but those services are quite costly. some lady in a big ole van ran into me going 65mph and my LR saved my life!!!! I don't get into all that buy american crap b/c how much of the "american" cars are truly made here. I buy what is SAFE!!! My life is worth more to me than anything.

Now about the service....I had issues with their customer service. They were extremely rude and MAG is the only dealership in central ohio. That is why I just purchased a Lexus RX 350 a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm not sure which one of the cars I love more. I also have owned a Navigator (I gave my exhusband that car/payment in the divorce settlement) but it drove like a big school bus. It could fit a whole tribe of children in it I'm sure (since u recently started a family).

Anyway, I know you are probably attempting to save $$$$ with the new family and all but buying a "newer" car with a warranty with probably be your best bet....especially if you're looking for a high end car. That's the problem with lots of people. They buy the expensive cars for the status but really don't have the $$$ for upkeep. Luxury cars are not cheap...hence the term luxury!!!

Go for the safety ratings!!! Hope some of this helped.

Well I don't know if the people that owned land rover's on here bought used ones but I had one 4 years back and absolutely LOVED it!!! I never had one single issue with it but of course I bought it brand new. I don't know if things have changed but you only have to get it serviced every 12000 miles but those services are quite costly. some lady in a big ole van ran into me going 65mph and my LR saved my life!!!! I don't get into all that buy american crap b/c how much of the "american" cars are truly made here. I buy what is SAFE!!! My life is worth more to me than anything.

Now about the service....I had issues with their customer service. They were extremely rude and MAG is the only dealership in central ohio. That is why I just purchased a Lexus RX 350 a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm not sure which one of the cars I love more. I also have owned a Navigator (I gave my exhusband that car/payment in the divorce settlement) but it drove like a big school bus. It could fit a whole tribe of children in it I'm sure (since u recently started a family).

Anyway, I know you are probably attempting to save $$$$ with the new family and all but buying a "newer" car with a warranty with probably be your best bet....especially if you're looking for a high end car. That's the problem with lots of people. They buy the expensive cars for the status but really don't have the $$$ for upkeep. Luxury cars are not cheap...hence the term luxury!!!

Yes the guys at MAG are complete assholes. I wouldnt recommend ANYONE buy from there.

well...I am not going to buy a brand new or "newer" car because cars depreciate very rapidly. We are going to pay cash because a car loan is bad debt IMO. So, my ability to afford upkeep isn't an issue. As far as 'status', there are other aspects of my life that speak for themselves. I don't need constant endorsement from whatever car i choose to drive. If i could, i would continue to drive my rock-solid, 9 year old Wrangler. But a noisy ride and lack of A/C aren't ideal for a baby.

The particular rover i wanted had low miles (~10k/year) and complete service records. With proper maintenance (which i do myself whenever possible), a modern car SHOULD last a very long time. From what I've read here and other boards, that is not the case with rovers, so I probably won't get one.

Most SUVs look too much like lifted cars. I value the "utility" aspect of SUVs. I want big and boxy with some off-road capabilities. I think I'm going to give the Jeep Commander a closer look. Thanks to you all for your input.

wow, anyone read that list? HELLO CAPT OBVIOUS! a Jeep Wrangler doesn't ride like a $400k dollar lexus? no shit?!

A Hummer gives poor gas milage? really you don't say, oh and it lack in acceleration? wow, I'm amazed!

An Aveo got poor accleeration reviews?

What morons, that list should read "11 cars and their obvious-as-the-nose-on-your-face quirks".

I ignore all "poor fit and finish" reviews on the interiors, these magazine editors expect every car to have $4 million hand-built Maybach quality interior. If I'm interested in something I'll go look at it, and check the internet for quality reviews from actual owners. Mags are so full of BS it's amazing

wow, anyone read that list? HELLO CAPT OBVIOUS! a Jeep Wrangler doesn't ride like a $400k dollar lexus? no shit?!

A Hummer gives poor gas milage? really you don't say, oh and it lack in acceleration? wow, I'm amazed!

An Aveo got poor accleeration reviews?

What morons, that list should read "11 cars and their obvious-as-the-nose-on-your-face quirks".

I ignore all "poor fit and finish" reviews on the interiors, these magazine editors expect every car to have $4 million hand-built Maybach quality interior. If I'm interested in something I'll go look at it, and check the internet for quality reviews from actual owners. Mags are so full of BS it's amazing

21ee236.jpg