Synching throttle bodies on a Twin...

YSR_Racer_99

I read all the forums and info, and decided I'd sync the TBs on my 07 SV1k last Saturday afternoon. Very simple procedure, or so I thought. Hooked up the hoses, started the bike, and the front cylinder started sucking the ATF fluid in. Quickly.

All the "how-to" info said there might be some differences between the pull on the cylinders, but I can't find anything about troubleshooting for the problem I ran into.

Thoughts anyone??

Basically the same set-up on the Vstrom 1000, I became an expert at balancing the TB's on those. I am a fan of the motionpro mercury sticks, not fond of the hillbilly manometer. I believe it is back to front for the vaccum pull, so turn the adjustment screw clockwise for the back to balance out and for the front to decrease.

I read all the forums and info, and decided I'd sync the TBs on my 07 SV1k last Saturday afternoon. Very simple procedure, or so I thought. Hooked up the hoses, started the bike, and the front cylinder started sucking the ATF fluid in. Quickly.

All the "how-to" info said there might be some differences between the pull on the cylinders, but I can't find anything about troubleshooting for the problem I ran into.

Thoughts anyone??

I've done my DL and other's bikes with the home-made manometer many times. Same as your SV, btw. One carb can be bad enough out to take one side in quick. If it's that bad out, you need to just have two hands busy....one to quickly turn the adj. screw to stop the lopsided pull and the other on the hose ready to pop it if it gets close to drawing your balancing fluid in...or alternatively on the kill-switch (I use 2-cycle oil, btw, which seems to be a little more forgiving than the thinner ATF). Nothing wrong with the ghetto tool, it's as accurate as mercury just more difficult if one side is drastically out for the reasons you've found.

It might take you two or three tries till you figure out the right direction, but you'll get there.

When you get it more or less stabilized, remember that it takes a few seconds to "settle in", so make a small "bump" to the screw and let the fluids do their thing for a minute. Just turning and reacting will make you frustrated, and it won't ever seem to balance. If you're within 1/2", you're golden. Then, put some clear nailpolish on the screwhead where it meets the spring.

Pokey was the BEST at balancing my throttle bodies!

He'd get right in there...crash bars and all in the way...burning the shit out of his hand...and never complain!

Then he'd steal his wifes pink nail polish to apply to the screw springs!

The best, I tell ya...the BEST!

Cracked into it again, and yeah, it was hooked up correctly, but the front cylinder was pulling so much more than the rear one. Clockwise on the screw did lessen the front/ increase the rear. I got them fairly even, buttoned it back up, and went out for a ride. From all the stuff I read, I figured that there would be a huge difference in performance, but there really wasn't. Pretty disappointed. Got it back home, back up on the surgery table, and cracked into it again. Off the bat, they were still pretty even, then went haywire. Craaaaaap. Tried adjusting it again, sucked more ATF into the engine, tried some more, then had a beer or two. Its got a PCIII on it, but I don't know if that changes anything. It was on there when I got it, and I haven't touched it and don't really know anything about it.

"Hello, CCM? Can I speak to the service department?" Screwit. Valves need to be checked, TPS checked, and then the TB sync that started the whole snowball...

Pokey was the BEST at balancing my throttle bodies!

He'd get right in there...crash bars and all in the way...burning the shit out of his hand...and never complain!

Then he'd steal his wifes pink nail polish to apply to the screw springs!

The best, I tell ya...the BEST!

:cheers: