Very strong fuel smell....ah, the joys owning a Duc!

baptizo

I noticed two days ago after refueling a very strong fuel smell as I got back on the bike and knew I hadn't spilled any fuel.

I get home and it's still there but didn't see any signs of a fuel leak.

Fire the bike up for a ride yesterday evening and nothing noticeable right away but as soon as I'm on the seat and backing it out the garage, the smell was back.

I pull back into the garage and shut it down only to see drops of fluid near the kickstand. A quick inspection reveals fuel and upon further inspection, I see it dribbling down onto the exhaust! So, I wait while the bike cools down and ponder the joys of owning my first Duc.

After pulling the tank up slightly this morning before the heat kicked in, one of the quick disconnect's is loose (in line) but not leaking with the engine off. I fire it back up and fuel goes spraying everywhere. :nono:

Then the out line quick disconnect's pops out without any encouragement or using the release tab. Another closer inspection reveals that they've both broken off at the base where they snap into the female connectors. :wtf:

So, after some research it looks like I'm going with some Desmo Times male and female QD's. :D

Similar to the Desmo Times SS qd's vs. the fragile OEM plastic ones (my in line is black):

OmegaFuelFittings20.jpg

Anyone have a good report on this "upgrade"? I'm hoping I've made a good choice for an upgrade.

I take it the females simply unscrew from the tank?

Edited by baptizo

Make sure you use a fuel safe thread sealant on the male fittings. Also' date=' it's wise to match mark the male and females that are to be mated together. It takes away guess work when re-attaching the lines after a service.

When I read your thread, my money was on the fuel level sensor gasket. Good thing I only bet myself.[/quote']

I was just looking for something that uses an applicator vs. the sealant tape online after reading a related thread over at ducati.ms. Seems someone used Indian Head gasket shellac with success.

My fuel lines are routed in such a way that the "in" and "out" line up with the connectors on the bottom of the tank. But, just to keep myself out of trouble I'll need to come up with something Joe proof.

And I've also just now realized that the Desmo Times qd's are chrome plated brass and not SS....ugh.