kitchen knives

crb

I love Ceramics. They are disposable, but while they're good nothing is better or faster.

Cost, really, is about the same as good metal if you factor that you're going to buy a big knife 3 or 4 times at $25 a piece, instead of once at $100 or more.

Could get a Work Sharp tool/knife sharpener, will give you a consistent, perfectly sharp edge.

And not kidding, but Ginsu Knives hold an edge surprisingly well and are inexpensive.

If you just can't bring yourself to go Ginsu, Victorinox is a quality, mid-priced knife.

Wusthof makes great knives, but dear God they're expensive ($100+ / knife). I have some from my chef days, as stated above they need to be sharpened often. They have enough heft and are balanced so that

they do the work, not you.

Maybe you know this, maybe not, but if you store your knives in one of those butcher block things, put them sharp edge up, or else you're sawing wood every time you put them in that thing. Just store them in the drawer and save some counter space.

If you are serious about cooking you want Wusthof's, Henckels will work also but the W is where it's at. It was the only thing I put on the wedding list that I gave 2 shits about actually lol.

They are by far the best knives on the market, BUT they also cost the most. With knives I have learned you get what you pay for.

I have a set of Henckels that are 8 years old and are just know getting to the point they need sharped. Great knives

Yes they are great knives I used mine six days a week for twelve hours a day and had my chef knife sharpened every six months so for home use I can see you getting by for that long. Pretty good investment for eight years and you will get another twenty out of them with good care.

Could get a Work Sharp tool/knife sharpener, will give you a consistent, perfectly sharp edge.

And not kidding, but Ginsu Knives hold an edge surprisingly well and are inexpensive.

If you just can't bring yourself to go Ginsu, Victorinox is a quality, mid-priced knife.

Wusthof makes great knives, but dear God they're expensive ($100+ / knife). I have some from my chef days, as stated above they need to be sharpened often. They have enough heft and are balanced so that

they do the work, not you.

Maybe you know this, maybe not, but if you store your knives in one of those butcher block things, put them sharp edge up, or else you're sawing wood every time you put them in that thing. Just store them in the drawer and save some counter space.

If you are serious about cooking you want Wusthof's, Henckels will work also but the W is where it's at. It was the only thing I put on the wedding list that I gave 2 shits about actually lol.

They are by far the best knives on the market, BUT they also cost the most. With knives I have learned you get what you pay for.

I like Wusthof and jblosser said they are balanced but if you are willing to spend the money for good knives you have to try them out. I have a mix of different brands. You have to purchase what feels right to you. The most important issue that jblosser pointed out is the knife has to do the work for you. Most kitchen accidents are caused by using a dull or cheap knife.

My fiancé likes shun better than wusthof or henckles... I plead the honey badger on this subject, otherwise. There are nicer knives out there too, but they start to become cost prohibitive after a certain point and last time I checked, I'm not sharing my home with the fat bastard or emeril.

Edited by jbot

Yep, the $$ is the reason I never bought them myself. For a wedding gift, perfect lol. Right now I'm running Paula Dean's knives and they work pretty solid for being cheap as balls. I actually butcher my own 60lb beef cases, and chicken breasts too and have no issues with them.