Anyone here shoot CMP or Highpower Events?

kiggy74

Anyone here a member of Zanesville Rifle Club? Looks like they have the only CMP sanctioned highpower event in central Ohio.

I've shot CMP clinics there maybe 10 years ago. I think they are the main CMP/nra service rifle place in the area. Decent club, never heard anything bad about them. The president of the club at the time (who has since passed away) once did a CMP clinic for us when I ran the osu rifle club.

It's a bit more of a drive, but their is also the Alliance Rifle club near Minerva that does full distance stuff (I think Zanesville is all reduced course), and does the 1000 yard F-class as well. Canton McKinley also does the reduced course service rifle matches.

Thanks, that's great info. I'll look into the Alliance club as well. You are correct, max range at Zanesville I believe is 300m, so the 600 slow fire events are simluated.

I *think* Dan A. might be running the service rifle practice nights for Alliance. He taught the novice school for motoseries/fasttraxx for about 15 years or so.

Tempting to go through one of the local "gun clubs" i'm affiliated with and pick up a CMP Garand for $600.00.......

Very tempting. Just wouldn't ever use the thing. Only reason why I dont' have one already.

Any good American gun collection has to have at least one Garand in it. Even if you never shoot it, it's fun to point at the Germans while watching Saving Private Ryan.

From what I hear, there are lots of guys that prefer the Garand in highpower matches, but it certainly isn't the easiest thing to shoot in those matches.

I shot highpower for a bunch of years, got tired of the travel but I miss the shooting. I still have my White Oak AR, shooting jacket and all the goodies but I haven't shot much lately.

From what I've read, the white oak uppers are the cat's meow for service rifle. Kind of pricey though, and long lead times. I'm shopping for a Rock River NM A4, but they are hard to come by and also have 60-90 lead times if ordering from RR.